Do I need a new electric CU for (Rental) EICR? (Ed.)

My friend has recently gone through the same thing with their rental, they have to have a EICR every 10 years and the electrics have to be up to the current edition, so in the meantime what was ok in the 17th edition is now not ok so they have to pay out around £600 for a new CU.

sounds like they have been ripped off.

An EICR does not mean they have to be up to the current standard - its an assessment of the safety of the installation.

There is no such thing as a 17th edition CU - but that suggests there is RCD protection for all circuits so quite why they were advised to replace it, if its not damaged is beyond me

EICR's for rentals are max every 5 years BTW

And I was under the impression that the drive for all rentals to be EPC "C" or above has been delayed. Why do they think they need to be "B"?

Sponsored Links
Yes it was plastic, I think that was all that was wrong with it. Im not sure how long it need to be 5 years then.
Yes I understand it is only a C that is needed but it was just a indication how the goalposts are moved I suppose.
And the move to requiring all to be a C has been dropped, It would of been chaos with 1,000s of properties being taken off the rental market.

Sponsored Links
Yes it was plastic, I think that was all that was wrong with it. Im not sure how long it need to be 5 years then.
Yes I understand it is only a C that is needed but it was just an indication how the goalposts are moved I suppose.

A C3 does not have to be acted on.

Serious hypothetical question:

A regulation (even a law) states that a rented property's electrical installation must comply (or conform) to the latest BS7671.
In BS 7671 it states that electrical installations may be installed to other standards.

Does that mean the property's electrical installation does not have to comply (or conform) to the latest BS7671?

Errr wtf is a landlord safety report... its just an ECIR and whilst its law to have one for a rented property it most certainly is not law to bring a property up to the latest regulations if it is currently safe.

Errr wtf is a landlord safety report... its just an ECIR and whilst its law to have one for a rented property it most certainly is not law to bring a property up to the latest regulations if it is currently safe.
but if current regs say a plastic CU is not safe then it has to be replaced.

It depends how you read which bits. I think they make regulations deliberately ambiguous.
I suspect that it was not deliberate.

As eric would say, only a Court could rule on the interpretation of legislation - and, if there is any ambiguity or uncertainty would do so on the basis of their view of (I suppose their "best guess at"!) the legislators' 'intention' . However, I know what my 'best guess' about that intent would be, and I suspect that a Court might well think likewise. As I've said before, that (my) view is that their intent was to ask for compliance with all the individual regulations in BS7671 (i.e as would be the case for a new installation).
A regulation (even a law) states that a rented property's electrical installation must comply (or conform) to the latest BS7671. In BS 7671 it states that electrical installations may be installed to other standards. Does that mean the property's electrical installation does not have to comply (or conform) to the latest BS7671?
As above, I very much doubt that such was the intent. Indeed, I think it very likely that the legislators didn't even realise that there might be possible 'loopholes' in the Introduction (but not actual 'regulations') of BS7671 - since, had they realised that, they would probably have been more explicit

In fact, I don't think that even BS7671 says anything about "other standards", other than the comment in the Introduction that things which were non-conformant with the current edition but which were compliant with earlier editions of BS767 are "not necessarily unsafe for continued use". Are you perhaps thinking of the OSG (the current version of which has, if I recall correctly, dropped the 'other standards'statement)?

The bottom line of my thoughts is that I think some people are probably trying to be 'too clever' in attempting to find technical loopholes based on the actual wording of the legislation. If I say that I want something to comply with a document which is a book full of numbered regulations, I would hope that most people would understand what I was asking for.

The 'let out',which ought to make this less of an issue, is that one would hope that sensible/competent inspectors would not give C2s to non-conformities with regs in BS7671:2018 when there were conformant/compliant with earlier (at least 'fairly recent') editions of BS7671 - and if they only give them C3s (if anything) that's not a problem (for landlords).

Kind Regards, John

See what I've just written. I strongly suspect that when those who wrote a law which required compliance with a Standard which comprised a list of numbered regulations, they believed they were asking for compliance with each and all those individual regulations (as would be the case for a anew install).

However, as I've also written, if sensible/competent EICR inspectors only give C3s (if anything) to things which would be just "bringing up to current standards" (and not, in their judgement, deserving a C2), then there's no problem.

Serious hypothetical question:

A regulation (even a law) states that a rented property's electrical installation must comply (or conform) to the latest BS7671.
In BS 7671 it states that electrical installations may be installed to other standards.

Does that mean the property's electrical installation does not have to comply (or conform) to the latest BS7671?

Hum. The legislation says it should be inspected to the 18th edition

Not amd 1 or 2

And inspected, not comply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back