Do I need a new electric CU for (Rental) EICR? (Ed.)

I suppose any system of regulation that could bee called 'a schemes', but ones like our current CPSs are not fit for purpose.

I am talking about some sort of legally-based 'licensing' to be allowed to carry out 'landlord inspections' (and, preferably all EICRs in general). 'Entry Requirements' would be demanding, and would include several years' experience of working as an electrician. Competence (and knowledge of current rules and regs) would be regularly re-assessed and.most important of all, some EICRs they had undertaken 'in anger' would be 'audited'. Those who repeatedly, or seriously, 'fell short of the mark' would have their 'licenses' revoked, and would be banned from every getting one in the future.

Yep, its a shambles at the moment, a licence to print money.

Sponsored Links
Yep, its a shambles at the moment, a licence to print money.

Only cowboys are doing this ……

Responsible sparks aren’t

And yes I do blame the CPS’s for not working together to clarify matters BUT as they both , along with others contributed to the best practice guide, I think this is the gospel according to the word of electrical common sense

Sponsored Links
.Errr wtf is a landlord safety report... its just an ECIR and whilst its law to have one for a rented property it most certainly is not law to bring a property up to the latest regulations if it is currently safe.

Nowhere is it referred to as an EICR

1702208237995.png

Only cowboys are doing this …… Responsible sparks aren’t
That doesn't help the tens of millions of people (almost the entire population) who have no way of knowing which are the 'cowboys' and which are the 'responsible sparks'.

If the systems allowed some airline pilots to be 'cowboys', would you be comfortable to fly (or fly at all)>?
And yes I do blame the CPS’s for not working together to clarify matters ....
That highlights one of the problems - the sort of legally-based regulatory system I'd like to see would be a single one - not a group of (profit-making) organisations that had to "work together".

That doesn't help the tens of millions of people (almost the entire population) who have no way of knowing which are the 'cowboys' and which are the 'responsible sparks'.

If the systems allowed some airline pilots to be 'cowboys', would you be comfortable to fly (or fly at all)>?

That highlights one of the problems - the sort of legally-based regulatory system I'd like to see would be a single one - not a group of (profit-making) organisations that had to "work together".

You are expecting Utopia - which will never happen.

The problem isn’t really the CPS’s and there assessments, the problem is they don’t have the ability to check up on bad workmanship

I dont think I agree with you John.
I would say that any installation, irrespective of when installed and whether for rental or not, must be inspected and compared to A/ a normal inspection by the standard applying today (if not a rental) or B/ a normal inspection to the sopecifically named BS7671:2018 standard.
In either event any C1 or C2 or FI results in unsat.
I'm not really sure what you are disagreeing with, since what you've written seems very similar to what I wrote.

However, you do not address the debate we are having about what one regards as 'compliance with BS7671:2018' (or, indeed, any other specific edition,including 'the current'one'). Eric (and maybe others) try to argue that, since the Introduction of every version of BS7671 says that things 'are not necessarily unsafe for continued use' if they are non-conformant with the current version but complied with an earlier version, asking for 'an inspection to BS7671:2018' does not require full compliance with the actual numbered regulations in BS7671:2018 ... and, as I said, I doubt that was the intention of the legislators.
It is difficult to imagine any C1 or C2 or FI differing under either of those alternatives.
If you're talking about the difference between BS7671:2018 and Amd 2 thereof, you're probably right. But what if one (eric) was looking at BS7671:2008, or earlier, citing the Introduction of BS7671:2018 as allowing him to do that? Coupled wth the indiv iidual judgement/discretion as to what is 'potentially dangerous', that could make the difference between C3 and C2 - for example in relation to some RCD protection.
I am still relatively suspicious that a few landlords might get more than one EICR unitil they get one that declares sat then ignore the unsat ones and let them become "lost". Even if that were specifically not allowed.
Sure, they may 'break the law', but that is true in any number of senses - but, as I've said before, that's only IF there is already a tenant in situe'. There seems little doubt that the law required a copy of the ('first') EICR to be given to the tenant (if there is one). However, as I've also said, if there is currently no tenant, the landlord is presumably free to go on having as many EICRs done as he/she wished, ignoring all until they get one which they 'like'.

Kind Regards, John

You are expecting Utopia - which will never happen.
It's happened in many professions and walks of life, so why not this one?
The problem isn’t really the CPS’s and there assessments, the problem is they don’t have the ability to check up on bad workmanship
As I said, hat we need is a single regulatory body - not a collection of profit-making organisations.

So can’t be bothered to wade through all that

So old duffer could you point us in the direction of anything relevant to this thread?
It's awful when you have have to read and comprehend...better to just repeat what others say...let the grown-ups do the hard work eh! lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back