Do I need a new electric CU for (Rental) EICR? (Ed.)

To comply with this: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/312/made
the electrical installation must comply with the 18th edition of BS7671.

That consumer unit does not, as it has no RCDs for most of the circuits.

The existing CU is obsolete and will need to be replaced with one containing individual RCBOs for each circuit.
It doesn't need 2 RCDs, and no one should even be suggesting installing such a thing.

Not sure I agree with this.

The legislation says it must be inspected to the 18th edition - and as we all know EICR's allow C3's for these stuations.

What does your EICR actually list as the C1's , C2's and C3's?

As for 2 RCD's - they are still sold so there's nothing stopping these being installed but who does? Only a cheap skate

Sponsored Links
A electrician said I need a new CU to rent out the house as it requires 2 RCD's to pass the EICR. My friend who rents a house said that I don't. The house was built mid 90s, assuming it's the same unit. Pictures attached, any help would be appreciated.
What propted you to compare what your friend said against what the electrician said?

Have you compared their relevant knowledge, experience and qualifications prior to comparing their apparent differing stances on this installation?

Yes, that is part of a sentence from above.
Was there a point to quoting it without the rest of the text?

Like it or not, the law requires that rented properties comply with BS7671:2018.
not law darling, it's guidence..bit like the highway code....pretty but not worth the written word

Sponsored Links
not law darling, it's guidence..bit like the highway code....pretty but not worth the written word
That is not my understanding of it.
As far as I am aware,
BS 7671 is not a statutory document - it does not have the force of law.
OK, so far.
however that landlord law thingy is an actual law and it does specifically state that one particular version of BS 7671 must be compared to when applying safety comparisons, that small part of it, in limited applications, therefore does have the force of law.

That is my take on the situation.

That is not my understanding of it.
As far as I am aware,
BS 7671 is not a statutory document - it does not have the force of law.
OK, so far.
however that landlord law thingy is an actual law and it does specifically state that one particular version of BS 7671 must be compared to when applying safety comparisons, that small part of it, in limited applications, therefore does have the force of law.

That is my take on the situation.

So can’t be bothered to wade through all that .... So old duffer could you point us in the direction of anything relevant to this thread?
It appears to be essentially all about 'processes' (aka bureaucracy) and very largely only in relation to 'high-risk buildings'.

Like you,I can't be bothered to look at it in any detail but, on a quick skim through, I don't really see anything relevant to this discussion/thread.

It appears to be essentially all about 'processes' (aka bureaucracy) and very largely only in relation to 'high-risk buildings'.

Like you,I can't be bothered to look at it in any detail but, on a quick skim through, I don't really see anything relevant to this discussion/thread.

I did say ANYTHING

My friend has recently gone through the same thing with their rental, they have to have a EICR every 10 years and the electrics have to be up to the current edition, so in the meantime what was ok in the 17th edition is now not ok so they have to pay out around £600 for a new CU.
But guess what -- they do not pay - the tenant pays, then guess what -the rising cost of rental is all over the news, evil greedy landlords - must stop them - then guess what - evil landlord gives up and sells property - then guess what - 1 less house on rental market - then guess what - rental prices go up.
Slightly off subject but they tell me its the same for the energy performance certificate they have to pay for every 5 years, the last one the got a C and to get to a B they needed to fit a new combi boiler so they did and then this year had a new energy performance thing and still get a "C" and now told to get to a B they now have to fit solar panels.

Don't forget no longer being able to claim mortgage interest as a business expense for tax purposes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back