Do I need an electrician to replace a shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd like some advice about whether I need someone who's part P certified to replace a shower.

My existing shower (Mira Sprint 9.5kW) was fitted 2 years ago by an electrician and a certificate of compliance & installation certificate issued. The plastic casing on the outside has since cracked, and I'm concerned about water ingress into the shower unit so have stopped using it.

If I DIY replace the shower with an exact like-for-like replacement would I be in contravention of the regulations?

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
DIY it is OK. Just make sure once fitted that you follow the guide on its commisioning (getting it going for the first time).

yes go ahead, so long as its a like for like or an identical output i:e 9.5Kw then as said its ok
but if you put a 10.5 then best call a sparks to verify that the cabling/fuse/mcb can take the additional load

Sponsored Links
If it's just the plastic cover that is cracked, then you could just replace that - much cheaper and easier than a complete new shower.

There is no problem replacing like for like equipment, even if in a special location such as shower/bathroom.
If the circuit was being altered in any way, then it would be notifiable.
If you simply replace your shower for the same output rated shower, you will be okay.

Thank you all for your very prompt help.

I need the shower up and running quickly so I'll go to B&Q where it's on offer at the moment and get a replacement. I'm happy that this is well within my DIY capabilities, just didn't want to fall foul of the law.

Thanks once again
Steve

Just make sure you follow the instruction that come with the shower.
Be aware what the core colours indicate on your cables.
Red (old) or Brown (new)=line/phase (live)
Black (old) or blue (new)=neutral
Green/Yellow=CPC (earth)
and correctly terminate them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back