Do we have any approved boiler fitters....

Don't confuse the performance of an old, and rubbish boiler with a working new one.

Ah, you know that never occurred to me!

When you consider this Icon t23/Glow worm/Travis Perkins special is 11 years old and 8 when it went south that's a pretty valid point!

What's the likely difference between the two types of boiler regarding system pressure, most of the new units are high pressure if I'm reading the various gumpf correctly..

Sponsored Links
What pressure? Water pressure is the same regardless - whatever your water company provide.

Heating pressure is always between 1 and 1.5 bar.

What pressure? Water pressure is the same regardless - whatever your water company provide.

Heating pressure is always between 1 and 1.5 bar.

I was under the impression that new boilers worked at a higher pressure than the old one.

Quote from one of the installers " IMPORTANT NOTICE: New boilers work using water at high pressure. For this reason existing pipework and radiators can not be guaranteed"

Probably relating to age rather than more pressure as I first thought..

Off topic, he also wanted £1000 upfront and the remaining on completion. Didn't like that idea!

Off topic, he also wanted £1000 upfront and the remaining on completion. Didn't like that idea!

Why not?

Do you expect him to spend £1000 on buying a new boiler and fitting it in your house only to find that you change your mind and dont pay him and then he has to wait four months to take you to court, he wins the case but you still dont pay?

He sounds a very honest and prudent tradesman to me!

There was a builder who built a new £10,000 porch for someone in what turned out to be a council house. The TV filmed the builder demolishing it with a JCB ! Seemed the council tenant thought it was all a bit of fun for him!

Sponsored Links
Because I don't hold the money Tony the Charity does, have you not been reading these posts? Besides, do you 'really' think after 3 years with no heating or hot water I'm going to 'change my mind'?

If I had £1k in cash I still wouldn't accept those terms. Watch cowboy, builders they are forever saying don't part with cash BEFORE the job is done.

On the flip side of the coin (and if I had the cash) he gets a cool grand doesn't do the work and then I have to wait four months to take him to court.

At the price he quoted I wouldn't say he's a very honest tradesman in all honestly!

Money up front is not a bad thing. I certainly wouldn't hold it against him.

The pressure they are referring to is the ch system pressure, so if you already Have a sealed heating system on your combi them you'll be fine.

Yeah its a sealed system so that's a good start.

Just to give you an idea bodge it and leg it who quoted for the job wouldn't give me much change out of £4500! No joke.

Did give me a giggle.

Maybe he just didn't want to work for you?

Whenever I go to look at a job I don't want to do I just put in a silly price. If I don't get it never mind, if I do then great.

That maybe the case. I knew he wasn't getting the job purely because of his attitude.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back