Do you have to be CORGI to change a pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumber reckons I need new pump in my Worcester combi boiler.

I asked if he's Corgi and he said no, but tells me that's ok if he just does the water, not the gas side of it. And the pump is water so he's all right...

Is he telling me the truth?

Thanks guys. :confused:

Sponsored Links
yes
That all depends on how you interpret the regulations. ;)

3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

"gas fittings" means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used.

"gas appliance" means an appliance designed for use by a consumer of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used ...

If a person does work on a gas fitting for money, he has to be CORGI registered. But, as the definitions above show, a gas appliance is a gas fitting. So it could easily be argued that the complete boiler is an "appliance" and therefore comes under the definition of a gas fitting and will need a CORGI person.

The regulations make no distinction between the gas side and the water side of the boiler; it is all part of the gas "appliance" and consequently a "gas fitting".

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware, anyone working on any gas appliance must ensure that the appliance is working correctly and safely after repairing it.

If he is not an RGI how can he do this :confused:

No problem, I've rung him and said no thanks 'cos we want a Corgi chap.

Why do I feel guilty?!

i should have checked with him first I guess

Thank you all for prompt advice, you're stars.

So do you need an electrician to wire in a 2 wire room stat?

Bullshit, As long as your not touching the gas "side" then its fine.

A combi boiler is an appliance that consumes gas, its is not a gas fitting.

IMHO it should be a job for an rgi cos the pump is within the boiler, but I dont think the regs would back me up on that.

Partcenter (big deal in gas installer) said they wouldn't sell boiler spares etc to unregistered engineers, I find myself in a Partscenter shortly after where someone was buying a board I asked the young man behind the counter about the claim in "Gas installer" he replied, Its only applies to gas critical parts thermocouple, multifunction valve :rolleyes:

yes
That all depends on how you interpret the regulations. ;)

3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

"gas fittings" means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used.

"gas appliance" means an appliance designed for use by a consumer of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used ...

If a person does work on a gas fitting for money, he has to be CORGI registered. But, as the definitions above show, a gas appliance is a gas fitting. So it could easily be argued that the complete boiler is an "appliance" and therefore comes under the definition of a gas fitting and will need a CORGI person.

The regulations make no distinction between the gas side and the water side of the boiler; it is all part of the gas "appliance" and consequently a "gas fitting".

Where is the link from?

IMHO it should be a job for an rgi cos the pump is within the boiler, but I dont think the regs would back me up on that.

You would say that wouldn't you.

why would i say that?

I think anyone who works on a system that is heated by a gas appliance should be qualified to recognise any defects that that gas appliance may have AND be able to ensure that that gas appliance is working correctly and safely

Unfortunatley I dont right the rules but seeing as we are having a debate I thought I would chuck my tuppence worth in.

and why do I get the feeling that have typed your comment with a sneer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back