Do you think I need a rewire? ARGH!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone... first... I am SO THANKFUL I have found this forum I cannot tell you. I have just bought my first house of my dad (lives in a nursing home) Now dont get me wrong.. its mainly in a great condition and I got a BARGAIN! BUT... I think I might need a rewire.. I have an old style fuse box in place... (no trip swtiches and beleive its the original from circa 1970) almost all the bulbs in the house blow frequently and occaisonaly the circuit for the plugs will go and I have to change the fuse. I am mainly concerned from a safety aspect and I am not going to even attempt to this myself in anyway. I am just making sure that I am savvy enough for when the quotes come in to do the work that I am not being scammed.. I get it all the time from builders where they assume.. young.. woman... on own.. therefore idiot.. boils my p**s frankly and I like to know what I am dealing with. I am assuming I will need a rewire and new box... if so... and assuming the house is clear.. any idea of maximum for a 5 bed 2 bathhouse near Grimsby? THe house is detatched and 2 floors. Also! .. how much disruption should I expect? replastering needed when wires pulled out? Am I better off moving out while the work is done?

I realise this was an epic of a topic but I am so grateful for any help whatsoever from people who know what they are talking about.

Much gratitude in advance
Marylou :)

Sponsored Links
I would expect you would probably be looking at a new consumer unit (fuse box), and the provision of some more circuits (like a separate kictchen circuit?) and a main and supp. bonding upgrade. What circuits do you have at the moment, OOI? Unless the circuits are in poor condition, or have been f*cked around with a lot by different well meaning, but incompetant people, then I think its fairly unlikely a re-wire will be neccessary

Floors will have to be lifted (the carpet upstairs is peeled back, the tongue and groove of the boards is cut, and they are lifted up, when the work is done, they are put back down and re-fastened with screws and the carpet is put back), and walls are chased where cables have to drop to accessories (so unless you have spare paint and paper that matches, you usually have to redecorate)

Do you have an 'uncle harry' character you could call on to visit you while you are getting quotes?, ideally should be middle aged and quite well built and know at least a little about electrics, other than that, follow your gut insinct, if leccy acts too much like a used car salesman, then tell him where to go, but do be aware that there might be geninue problems with your installation that arn't obvious and might need fixing (yes, its sometimes tricky to tell them apart :( )

When you get a leccy in, if you come back here and post what he says, what he wants to charge you and what you are getting for that, we will try our best to advise, though it is a little difficult without seeing it

Oh, and check he is registered to self certify compliance with the building regs, or at least if he isn't that he plans to notify the council in advance of the work

Think I've covered most things there, if I've missed anything, shout at me :p :LOL:

Adam you're an angel thankyou :D

I am anticipating problems to be honest.. and I am fully redecorating anyway... so I suppose in the scheme of things its not the biggest issue in the world. Although I didn't want to have to put most of the house into storage to get everything done.. but better I do than my house burn down with me and the cats in it! Someones mentioned about 2.5K for the lot.. :eek: wasnt sure what that was like for a quote.. so will get a second opinion anyway. I am usually a good judge of character and if they do treat me like an idiot they aren't getting my business anyway! ... thankyou for answering.. you're all over these boards do you ever sleep? lol

Marylou x

(don't go that far- but could do down south as I am part P registered thru NICEIC)

For a house that size (standard fittings and no making good) <£2900 all in

about 5-8 days depending on hassle (furnature/carpets etc)

As it goes you would probably get away with a new consumer unit and upgrading bonding etc, but if you plan to live in it long term then (kids etc), get a fitted kitchen / new bathroom then you may as well go for a rewire.

Get a registered firm in to check it out. A good spark can let you know how things are in 10 mins with a few tools and test equipment, without a full PIR (if the wiring is past it, why pay extra for a bit of paper to tell you it is? Better to save money and put it towards a rewire if needed)

Sponsored Links
If you can lay your hands on a digital camera a few pics would really help us.

One of your consumer unit and mains intake, the inside of a few sockets and light switches and any other electrical stuff you think may be relevant

Try to get a personal recommendation from someone local who's recently had domestic work done. try to get 3 quotes. When phoning to ask them to come round, as if they are a member of a self-certification scheme, and which one, and will they issue a certificate when finished. If they aren't, or they mumble about it being not necessary, or say no-one will know, don't have them round.

If you want to, see if your electricity supplier has a contracting arm; they are likely to be the most expensive, but very unlikely to do a cowboy job or run off with your money.

Marylou1974 said:
boils my p**s

:eek:

Not heard this one before!!

Was looking at your screen name thinking "oh, a young girl, some tradesmen try it on" then realised that 32 is not as young as I thought it was. Then realised (old git!!) that I was 8 in 74.......Where's the zimmer?

About getting a quote: in addition to the companies you choose to have quotes from, you could try two or three from NICEIC companies. At least they are insurance-backed and if the sloppy stuff hits the rotating ventilation device, you will have comeback.

Hello guys :D

Thankyou so much for all your advice.. I think I might have it covered as it were... as I have just stripped a wall off and found a huge great big crack in one of the walls! going around the house at the front you can see some stress cracks in some of the bricks and I have this awful (sinking ha ha ) feeling that I have subsidence. So I've called my insurance co and they are sending an assesor around.

If this turns out to be nothing (crossing everything available) .. then I might as well go ahead and get it all rewired while its clear and I have the chance.

Will still come back though and let you guys know what the contractor has said.

Thanks so much!
Marylou x
ps less of the 'realised that 32 is not as young as I thought it was' thanks securespark!!!!! lol :eek:

Just have to reply to Adam here, cos he's boiling my p**s.
The phrase 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' comes to mind.
I am a professional spark 'fully-qualified' for 8 years, and self-employed for the last 3 years. As such, I can go to a customers house and not rip them off. You don't need a minder Mary, just make sure you get at least 3 companies in and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.
Also Adam, I love the idea that you can comment on a sparks workmanship before you've even started training. You don't say if you are working in the trade or are doing the courses from September.
There's more to the job than is written in books, and most of what I know as been picked up on site.

Before someone comes back asking why I'm not in work it's cos I am on holiday.

Marylou1974 said:
less of the 'realised that 32 is not as young as I thought it was' thanks securespark!!!!! lol :eek:

I can remember when 32 was an experienced older woman, but today they're just young slips of girls.

newspark_paul said:
Just have to reply to Adam here, cos he's boiling my p**s.
Strangely it appears to be only you who has taken exception to my post... (and I don't believe that i'm that scary that not many folks would dare engage me in an argument...)

The phrase 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' comes to mind.
It indeed can be, but I'm not actually sure where your idea of my level of knowledge comes from?, I am not claiming any particular level of knowledge, but questioning you on what you are basing your assumption of my level of knowledge on

I am a professional spark 'fully-qualified' for 8 years, and self-employed for the last 3 years.
Enjoying it?

As such, I can go to a customers house and not rip them off.
I hope you are not suggesting for one momment that this is something that automatically comes about because of your training and experience

You don't need a minder Mary, just make sure you get at least 3 companies in and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.
The idea of getting 3 quotes is commendable, but it should be noted that first appearances can be deceptive, it just helps to have someone who knows what they are talking about so the less reputable trades people realise they wont get away with passing off shoddy work, and as for the good ones are concerned, it shouldn't matter too much they should have nothing to fear, and theres the fact that they know their high quality work is actually appreicated, which must count for something in the job satisfaction stakes...

Also Adam, I love the idea that you can comment on a sparks workmanship before you've even started training. You don't say if you are working in the trade or are doing the courses from September. There's more to the job than is written in books, and most of what I know as been picked up on site.
I don't believe I have done that, at least not in this thread?, Oh and your stepping into ad hominem territory there, are you sure you want to go there?

Before someone comes back asking why I'm not in work it's cos I am on holiday.
Enjoy the sun :)

Adam,

The point I am trying to make is that most of the blokes in the industry are honest and hard-working people, out to make a living. The 'House of Horrors' programme pick out scum and presents them as representative of the building industry in general. If I go to a house I check the current installation then price for what I think is required. Having 'Uncle Charlie' walking round asking if I'm sure I know what i'm talking about helps nobody. The problem being that the physical installation is only part of the job. Your posts lead me to believe that you have acquired a fair amount of background knowledge, but you tag-line states you start training in September. I don't feel I have taken a liberty assuming you are not an experienced spark. That is why I am annoyed by the comment that Mary should put any questions on here. The person to ask is the spark on the job.

Furthermore, this is not a personal attack on you, just a general gripe that will probably ring bells with the professional sparks on here, that Tv is presenting lots of programmes showing builders are thieving scum, and it does no favours giving advice which appears to hold that premise as true. I am not naive enough to think that everybody in the trade is honest.

I am really enjoying being a spark. Before that I was in systems and got bored. Had to push to career switch, but never regretted it. I hope you get out of the job as much as I do.

I am not enjoying the Sun because the weather is overcast and humid. Spent last week in an office block, so not happy picking today to be off.

The last article I read regarding Part P stated that only around 25% of all trades that are carrying out electrical work in special locations had registered with a self certification body.

There are plenty of rouge traders still out there.

Pensdown said:
There are plenty of rogue traders still out there.

Sad but true. I'm just going out to look at a job that's been bodged. No certificates, and heavily overcharged by the sound of it (I mean, by £thousands). All because she trusted the tradesmen concerned not to rip her off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back