Does a pedestal type basin need to be bolted to wall

Sponsored Links
Lol. Where are you finding your "tradespeople"? They all seem to be idiots.

Think about this for a moment. Think about pulling the basin while you hold it with one hand and bend down to clean between your toes.

It does need bolting but woody may be surprised how many basins are stuck on the wall with silicone alone.

It will depend upon how well it is supported from below to prevent tipping. We have a compact basin in a unit that is fully supported from below and is stuck to the wall. I'd say pedestal types require securing mechanically.

Sponsored Links
Silicon might well 'do' but you won't know until you pull the basin hard enough to pull it off the wall and it lands on you or a child ... is there any reason for not bolting it to the wall? Why not just do the job properly?

Yes, do it properly with studs, and no silicone, other than to seal the top edge to the splashback once installed.

Apart from anything else, if the sink ever needs to me changed in the future, removing a sink stuck to a wall with silicone can be a nightmare. I speak from experience.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back