Does a TV aerial have to go on the roof ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have lost TV signal in my ground floor flat, after the high winds recently.

I have tried portable amplified aerials. It have struggled to get a decent picture previously.

Its a 3 storey building, I don't want to go up to high.
I wonder if I put a new aerial in the side of the house 2 storeys up it would be ok ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i think you are limited to where you can put an aeriel by planning law i think you are restricted to dishes at roof level and aerials above but could be wrong :D

Hi,

It also strikes me that you may have difficulty getting permission to attach your aerial, whether from the freeholder, or from the owner of the flat above!

Many purpose built flats will have a communal aerial and satellite distribution system to avoid these type of issues.

Apart from that, yes, an aerial doesn't always have to be mounted on the roof, but that is often the best place for it! :)

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have lost TV signal in my ground floor flat, after the high winds recently.

I have tried portable amplified aerials. It have struggled to get a decent picture previously.

Its a 3 storey building, I don't want to go up to high.
I wonder if I put a new aerial in the side of the house 2 storeys up it would be ok ?

Thanks

Where you can get away with locating an antenna, purely from a signal point of view, is entirely dependent of where the transmitter is, its distance and your local topographical conditions.

My aerial is in the loft for all the good it is, my transmitted is moel y sant which is next to useless, over half the normal channels are missing, so I use satellite. Both SkyQ and a free to air box. Better with freesat rather than free to air as better electronic program guide, but seen satellite dishes at ground level. Mine is around 8 foot up the wall, but that is the good thing about satellite dish does not need to be high, plus more programs.

My aerial is in the loft for all the good it is, my transmitted is moel y sant which is next to useless, over half the normal channels are missing, so I use satellite. Both SkyQ and a free to air box. Better with freesat rather than free to air as better electronic program guide, but seen satellite dishes at ground level. Mine is around 8 foot up the wall, but that is the good thing about satellite dish does not need to be high, plus more programs.

Correct, mine is also at 8 feet, at the back of the house, an original Sky install, where he put it at the front, high up and looking up at the eaves of the house. At best, it limped along with a poor signal level. Our house is at an angle to the rest of the houses in the street and the installer had assumed the dish would still work in the same spot as all the rest.

Look at the location of the transmitter.
If you can get a line -of -sight to it, i suppose it doesn't matter where the arial is.

Might be worth a look before you get the ladder out :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back