Does Argentina have a legitimate claim to the Falkland Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's not "ours" - it belongs to the islanders.
It's a British Overseas Territory.

In terms of occupation, the islands were discovered by an English ship.

Squid exported from Falklands tomEU now subject to tariffs.

In terms of occupation, the islands were discovered by an English ship.

No, French were there first to make a colony, on East Falkland in 1764. But the Portuguese were the first the map it before them, in the late 1600s.
Then the Brits came along in 1765, not realising the French were already on East Falkland, and colonised West Falkland.
The French left their island in in 1766 after the Spanish complained about them being in Spanish territory (Pacte de Famille) - the Spanish said it was there's as it was part of Argentina, but chose not to colonise it.
Then the Spanish arrived in force in 1770. But things settled.
Then we left it in 1776 as part of a political decision to withdraw from many small overseas settlements.
1780 the Spanish re-claimed all the islands.
Then the Spanish left in 1811, for similar reasons to Brits leaving, ie not wanting to stretch their military too much.
Following this, nobody lived there but American and British whalers and sealers used it as a place to rest up.
Then in 1813, a British ship called Isabella run aground, and the crew were forced to live on the islands.
Then it all gets more complicated with trade and all sorts .... the Americans claimed it for sealing rights, or something, then the Argentians / Spanish claimed took over and started using it as a penal colony. But the Spanish soldiers mutinied ... but the mutiny was stopped by the some French whalers.
Argentina still claimed it, so the British Navy took it back in 1833, and been there since...

So, Portuguese saw it first
French settled on it first
Then the Brits settled on a different bit.
Both Brits and French left
Then Spanish claimed it. Then left.
Then lots of messing about.

So, who owns it? Who knows?

As I said, its complex,but I doubt Argentina have the finance to buy the arms to launch an invasion its a status quo

Having been down south in ‘82 I think the important bit here is what do the islanders want. Without taking a survey (but based on the results of previous surveys) in my opinion they want to be left alone and consider themselves a British protectorate. They don't want to be ruled by Argentina, end of.

I think today invasions are just far less likely. In 1982 they didn't expect us to retaliate within hours in a Vulcan, they won't be so brazen again.
All it takes though is one crazy leader to decide to reclaim it.

Having been down south in ‘82 I think the important bit here is what do the islanders want. Without taking a survey (but based on the results of previous surveys) in my opinion they want to be left alone and consider themselves a British protectorate. They don't want to be ruled by Argentina, end of.

Yeah. I am a believer in maintaining and respecting all existing borders.

I think today invasions are just far less likely. In 1982 they didn't expect us to retaliate within hours in a Vulcan, they won't be so brazen again.
All it takes though is one crazy leader to decide to reclaim it.
Was it within hours? and several aircraft were involved, Victor tankers for instance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back