Does It Really Matter Who Installs Your Boiler ?

30 posts and you guys are still feeding the bored from being in lockdown troll! :idea:

Sponsored Links
Some of them,,not all..Have you dealt with every trades person in the country then? And been shafted by every one of them? .....Thought not.
Just trying to be practical, thought somebody might have something useful to say; I've not seen anything that tells me it's such a difficult job.
A few of the better engineers down here are on cv19 sabbatical at least until it lifts.
I know a fantastic engineer ... at least he used to be ... but he seems to only want "straightforward" jobs these days .. easy street. Disappointing.
Another family run plumbing business, also extremely reliable, went bust last year - just vanished.
Many are charging about £80-£100 an hour; and their quotes that end in 3 zeroes.
Anyway ... decision need to be made.

Sponsored Links
Just trying to be practical, thought somebody might have something useful to say; I've not seen anything that tells me it's such a difficult job.
A few of the better engineers down here are on cv19 sabbatical at least until it lifts.
I know a fantastic engineer ... at least he used to be ... but he seems to only want "straightforward" jobs these days .. easy street. Disappointing.

Thought you said was a straight forward job?

From experience roughly £1800 is a fair price for a supplied and fitted like for like straight forward swap boiler. EDIT: one was for an Atag and one was for a Baxi 600

This is very recent past 4 months in Essex me and my friend have had these quotes and installed boilers.

My only advice on who should fit your boiler is to go on glow worms website and choose 3 local Installers to come and price up. Chat to them ask them questions, and choose the one you feel most comfortable and confident with.

By choosing an approved installer will also increase the warranty on some boilers

Last edited:
Yes, but VOSA do not authorise mechanics to work on cars. They can only prosecute owners/operators of dangerous vehicles.

They licence MOT Testing stations, so although, whilst anyone can technically work on a car, it can only be MOT'd by an authorised Tester. Although the annual test is, in my view maybe too long to go without the car being looked at for safety purposes. HGV's have to have a 6 weekly Inspection Service and tick sheet completed by someone authorised to ensure the vehicle remains roadworthy.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
They licence MOT Testing stations, so although, whilst anyone can technically work on a car, it can only be MOT'd by an authorised Tester. Although the annual test is, in my view maybe too long to go without the car being looked at for safety purposes. HGV's have to have a 6 weekly Inspection Service and tick sheet completed by someone authorised to ensure the vehicle remains roadworthy.
I know - I am a registered MOT tester! Testing is only inspection and we are not even allowed to carry out any repairs or remove any covers etc during the test to carry out that inspection but back to my original point, unlike gas boilers, anybody can repair a car without being licensed.

unlike gas boilers, anybody can repair a car without being licensed.

Difference is in my view, whereas a vehicle has to be MOT'd annually from 3 years of age, if it was then found to be dangerous, you refuse to issue the MOT and can prevent the vehicle leaving the test station. There is no such rule for gas appliances, and subsequently an unsafe and/or illegal install could remain in operation for many years, before discovery.

Sadly anyone can repair a boiler without being licenced, its usually only when something goes wrong that they're found out. The CORGI scheme was introduced in 1970 following the Ronan Point disaster of 1968, but even that for many years was voluntary registration, only becoming compulsory in 1991.

Still hasn't prevented those who think they are above the law from installing, or altering gas appliances, and a very big reason why this Forum does not and will not promote any giving of advice that can be regarded as Gas related.

Good installation of anything these days is often down to integrity as many are more than capable but do not always do the quality install they are easily capable of doing. Time is money is far to frequently the policies adapted or excuse for overriding quality these days or is it just Greed (often both) but not always. I have witnessed some of the best and most experienced make really crap shortcuts for speed, but than can also not always be their own choice some of these main contractors these days want things as cheap as they can and are not prepared to pay a decent price for a decent job. They want the most capable for the price of a cowboy to maximise profit and pay the fatter cats of industry, that can be the problem.

Last edited:
The CORGI scheme was introduced in 1970 following the Ronan Point disaster of 1968,
I didn’t know that. I actually lived in Brixham Road, less than 200 yards from Ronan point when it came down. I remember that day being brought home from school early as they evacuated our street because they thought the whole block was going to come down. It was a terrible event and they evacuated both blocks and demolished them. Here’s our house! :eek:

11BD6D6D-D6A9-4DC0-80DF-3EB5ECDC8562.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back