Does It Really Matter Who Installs Your Boiler ?

Ronan Point

A faulty nut in a connection to the gas stove was the cause of the gas leak. The explosion was a comparatively weak one but the structure of the building was even weaker.

Extracts from this Case Study

Ronan Point was designed to withstand wind velocities of only 100 kph (63 mph). A wind of 170 kph (105 mph) could be expected to occur at two hundred feet above the ground every sixty years, within the life expectancy of the building.

~~~
A shocked Webb commented, I knew we were going to find bad workmanship what surprised me was the sheer scale of it. Not a single joint was correct. Fixing straps were unattached: leveling nuts were not wound down, causing a significant loading to be transmitted via the bolts: panels were placed on bolts instead of mortar. But the biggest shock of all was the crucial H-2 load-bearing joints between floor and wall panels. Some of the joints had less than fifty percent of the mortar specified. (Wearne, 2000).

~~~
The investigations found that the Ronan Point apartment tower was deeply flawed in both design and construction. The existing building codes were inadequate for ensuring the safety and integrity of high-rise precast concrete apartment buildings. In particular, the design wind pressures were too low and did not account for the height of the building. The Larsen Nielson building system, intended for buildings with only six stories, had been extended past the point of safety.

Sponsored Links
I've not seen anything that tells me it's such a difficult job.
No job is difficult when you know how...Pilot.architect.Surgeon.But by crikey...you don't half make a mess if you muck it up...Try chucking a bucket full of water around your living room...see how much mess it makes......Then try a bath full!....

Not quite a fair comparison to a gas fitter, some of whom can be very aloof - I guess as a result of breathing in all that leaking gas :)
Pilots and surgeons can be very aloof.Any bugger can be aloof...Not related to trade at all.

Sponsored Links
Pilots and surgeons can be very aloof.Any bugger can be aloof...Not related to trade at all.

Perhaps I have met with more gas installer than you?

I know and have known a few pilots and more than few surgeons, none of which I have found to be aloof in the slightest.

It all boils down to the fact that good jobs ain’t cheap and cheap jobs ain’t good.i charge £45-00 p per hour and work guaranteed. Bob

Perhaps I have met with more gas installer than you?

I know and have known a few pilots and more than few surgeons, none of which I have found to be aloof in the slightest.
As I said,Aloofness is nothing to do with trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back