Does This Price Sound Okay (Combi Boiler Replacement)?

Axe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have got a combi boiler in the kitchen that needs replacing, and our usual boiler maintenance company have quoted us to install a new boiler. We asked for a Vaillant boiler (having read extensively online about the best makes, and asked around), and this will be fitted in place of our current boiler.

The price is just under £2900 including VAT, which is for the following:

Fit Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 831.
New flue from unit, through wall.
Mount boiler as high as possible (at our request - I think there may be some extra work needed on flue hole in wall as our current boiler is too low)
Drain system and remove old unit.
Make good the wall (excluding tiling and decorating).
Services connected locally (I presume using existing pipes to current boiler).
Fit magnetic sludge remover on heating return.
Run condenser pipework to external gully.
Fit integral electro-mechanical time clock and ACL RF600 remote room thermostat to convenient location.
If needed, fit Pegler Terrier lockshield valve on a radiator close to where remote room thermostat will be sited.
Wire boiler to a fused switched spur sited next to existing kitchen socket (our request, in order to lose the lead and plug we have for our boiler into a kitchen socket).
Fill and flush the system, topped up with inhibitor.
Fully test and commission, then enter on Gas Safe register.
Two-year guarantee, subject to servicing.

That price is getting on for £1000 more than I was expecting for the job, but I tend to live in another world with my expectations of how much things should cost, so if anyone who isn't living in the 1950s could give their opinion then I would be grateful!

We like our boiler maintenance people and have used them for a long time, so we don't mind if the price is slightly on the high side, but obviously we don't want to pay an unrealistically-high price. Unfortunately they aren't official Vaillant fitters, so we won't get the upgraded warranty to five years.

Thanks very much in advance for any opinions if this is a realistic price for a rural (non-London) area.

:)

Sponsored Links
Three grand for a combi swap? You gotta be kidding.

I thought about £1000 for the boiler (having looked online), plus another £1000 at the most for fitting. I have no idea what is a realistic price though!

It's a one or two day job plus parts. 2K tops. Shop around.

Sponsored Links
Yep 3k is far too expensive.

Also make sure your plumber provides you with a certificate and notifies building control for the electrical work he's carrying out, as he's legally obliged to do. If not you should use a registered electrician.

A lot of plumbers like to have a go without actually knowing what they're doing, and leave consumers with dangerous, illegal or non-compliant installations.

Okay, thanks. I thought around £2000 would be enough. :)

I'll get some more quotes.

EDIT: Okay, noted, regarding the Building Control etc. They are a reputable company, so I presume everything would be done correctly.

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know.

I have been thinking about that quote and they must be charging a hell of a lot for labour, unless I'm terribly mistaken.

Allowing £1100 for the boiler and an extra £150 for the other bits (all minus VAT), that makes the labour charge about £1200 (again, minus VAT). He said it was one day's work, so even if it's a twelve-hour day then that's £100 per hour.

Surely £30 or £40 an hour is fair isn't it? That would make the bill much more in line with what has been suggested, and also more like what I was expecting.

Considering how little 90 actually knows I would take his drivel with a large pinch of salt.

However, pricing us very subjective - there are many variables we can't see and you don't know.

price of expertise is priceless, unit is significantly more than 1100 retail, and more than that to most as trade!!!!, £150 for other bits is probably way of the mark as well.

not for me to comment on other people's labour charges as i know what i am worth!! but your "fitter is the one who has to respond to your beckancall" and knows his own value to your price!, if you are questioning what is fair and unfair, try buying double glazing!!!

from land's end to john 'o groats there will be a million different prices, and only confidence and trust bring's the right "price" to the table!

Thanks for the latest replies.

I did look the unit up online and saw it for £1068 including VAT, which is where I got the £1100 from. I was just guessing with the other items, but the point I was trying to make was the labour charge seemed excessive.

Yes, I appreciate that there are many variables, but there will always be a point at which it becomes apparent that the job looks too expensive, and in my case it was the point at which I saw it was nearly £1000 more than I was expecting.

I have no objection to paying someone a rate commensurate with their level of expertise. However, an apparent £100 per hour (or thereabouts) equates to over £200,000 per year for a 40-hour week, which seems a little on the high side to me. I would prefer that my installer is kept poverty-stricken and only just making ends meet with a paltry £40 per hour, and the consequent £80,000+ per year that it brings.

Seriously though, what kind of hourly rate do you charge? I didn't think I was too unrealistic with my judgement of a fair rate.

But this is where the age old debate that planks like 90 never seem to grasp. Labour rates is not income.

There are huge regional variances and you haven't deemed it necessary to tell us where you are.

Also we can not see the job and don't know exactly what labour is involved. You also don['t know (or haven't told us) if there will be one, two or three men on the job.

Think about it a different way. What Percentage profit do you think is acceptable on a job like this. And by profit I mean after deducting some of the following (which is not an exhaustive list):

Insurance
Pension
Van maintenance
Van insurance
Accountancy fees
Rent
Equipment Purchase
Equipment Maintenance
Banking fee's
Staff costs (back office/apprentice's etc.)
Fuel
Sundries such as soldering gas, flux, solder
Stocked items
Gas Safe Registration
Compulsory training
Voluntary product training
Parking
Printing & Stationary
Telephone and internet services
Work ware
Lunch
Annual equipment servicing/claibration

We charge £84 per hour after VAT and I can assure you I and those that work for me do not take that home.

As an example for me to drive to my main area of operation and back costs around £15 per day. Just for me.

So, I shall repeat the question; and in no way am I having a pop at the OP:

What do you and the others think is a reasonable percentage of profit on your job to cover the costs of the above; WHICH you may have noticed do not cover the actual cost of living and/or a decent salary?

I have posed this question several times in threads like this and I can't remember anyone of the regular RGI bashers/smart a7ses being able to or even bothering to give an answer.

Seriously though, what kind of hourly rate do you charge? I didn't think I was too unrealistic with my judgement of a fair rate.

The gasman I use wants £200 per day and I'm more than happy to pay him that. Your quote is over £1k excessive but you need to get several prices and if they all come up with the same amount that's the price you will have to pay.

Business expenses come out of the labour charge (plus any profit on supply - harder nowadays as we can price online) and are tax deductible. If the business is smart then you will also be able to have more favourable tax treatment than an employee. If somebody moans about business expenses then show him the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back