Does This Price Sound Okay (Combi Boiler Replacement)?

I see neither of you deemed it necessary to answer the question.

It is not a case of moaning. It is a reality. Labour rates are not income. Simples.

Sponsored Links
But this is where the age old debate that planks like 90 never seem to grasp. Labour rates is not income.

There are huge regional variances and you haven't deemed it necessary to tell us where you are.

Also we can not see the job and don't know exactly what labour is involved. You also don['t know (or haven't told us) if there will be one, two or three men on the job.

Think about it a different way. What Percentage profit do you think is acceptable on a job like this. And by profit I mean after deducting some of the following (which is not an exhaustive list):

Insurance
Pension
Van maintenance
Van insurance
Accountancy fees
Rent
Equipment Purchase
Equipment Maintenance
Banking fee's
Staff costs (back office/apprentice's etc.)
Fuel
Sundries such as soldering gas, flux, solder
Stocked items
Gas Safe Registration
Compulsory training
Voluntary product training
Parking
Printing & Stationary
Telephone and internet services
Work ware
Lunch
Annual equipment servicing/claibration

We charge £84 per hour after VAT and I can assure you I and those that work for me do not take that home.

As an example for me to drive to my main area of operation and back costs around £15 per day. Just for me.

So, I shall repeat the question; and in no way am I having a pop at the OP:

What do you and the others think is a reasonable percentage of profit on your job to cover the costs of the above; WHICH you may have noticed do not cover the actual cost of living and/or a decent salary?

I have posed this question several times in threads like this and I can't remember anyone of the regular RGI bashers/smart a7ses being able to or even bothering to give an answer.

Every trade has the same outlay. Would you pay a decorator £84 an hour?

Oh and you forgot to put your Henry on the list. :rolleyes:

Different business have different overheads, im a little confused to why so much concentration is on this subject. Dans spot on, the customer never really thinks about the incidentals and why should they?

If you want total clarity of everything, I'm afraid you won't receive that. Currys don't tell you how much profit they are going to make from you.

I understand you getting a feel, but thats why you should get at least 3 different quotes from recognised/registered professionally trained Gas Engineers.

Those that don't do this job will always have an opinion (sometimes close to the truth, but never accurate to all - just that, an opinion)

I've got Google too, but that doesn't make me an Electrician.

So why do you do electrical work then? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I see neither of you deemed it necessary to answer the question.

It is not a case of moaning. It is a reality. Labour rates are not income. Simples.

So how much of that £84 is profit then? Are you going to tell us?

You should leave both alone joe. Stick to shovelling sh*te on the gd forum. :mrgreen: ;)

You spend more time in there than I do. :rolleyes:

I've got Google but it doesn't make me a Doctor

It doesn't make youi a spark either so leave the electrics alone eh? Just like you want the sparks to leave gas alone.

When/where have I touched Electrics?

Again, reading into something that isn't there. Joe, with the greatest of respect, you can either assist others or belittle them.

What do you do?

Assist ?

or

Belittle ?

Let's be honest, nobody on here has actually physically seen the job! That price may be spot on, it may be slightly overpriced or it may be way overpriced. £150 for extra bits is way off the mark, the filter is gonna be close to £100 alone, then there's the clock, the stat, cleaner, inhibitor, fittings etc etc!

Like Dan said, all the other things that customers don't take into account do no come for free.

I used to fit boilers for Npower and I know people were being charged over 3 grand for a straight combi swap. This didn't mean the customer was getting a better service either, I saw plenty of rough installations! And then there's BG prices!

All things considered, if in doubt then get another quote. If you liked the guy then ask to see previous work or at least speak to some of his customers!

Last time I looked it was OK for a house owner or anyone else who is not a professional electrician to do certrtain small electrical works. These include changing a 13A socket for another one in the same location, adding a spur to a ring, changing a light switch or lamp batten. Therefore I don't think there is anything wrong with a gas safe registered engineer connecting a new boiler to an existing switched fused spur that was previously used for the old boiler. I dont think you need to pay an electrician to do that. If the gas safe registered engineer is any good he will be able to check the earth loop impedance, polarity and voltage anyway.

For fitting boilers and other gas work I charge £200 a day and think I am rich. Working like that so far this winter period I have saved £8,000 in my bank, over and above all the expenses that have been listed here so I think £2000 is a fair price to supply and fit that boiler. BG will quote about £4000.

But Desperate Dan charges three times that. I guess he's got a van to run. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back