Don’t let your door blow open!

Missing a magic carpet ride?
That'll be the Citroen GS, BX and Xantia then......absolutely superb comfort, road holding and braking with its hydropneumatic system and LHM fluid.
An amazing system which got unfair reviews from the motor trade because of its complexity ......totally unjustified, in my humble opinion.
I can't comment on the C5 which I believe has much more electronic input but remarkable nevertheless.
Standing by for the hoots of derision :mrgreen:
John :)
Had a BX for five years - still miss it, wonderfully car. 53 MPG. So comfortable and so capable of carrying loads. I'd have another Citroen today if they had the hydro suspension.

Sponsored Links
I ran CX's for 10 years John, then XM's for another 10 years, when there were no more decent ones available I went to 406's which were a good compromise between comfort and handling and ran those for about 10 years. I had a couple of the early C5's and wasn't very impressed with them, had never driven on of the late ones until I saw one advertised locally so I went and had a drive, it completely blew me away - I had to have it. It's a steel sprung one but the ride is better over small undulation than some of the hydropnumatic ones were and its very quiet to, not to mention economical, so I won't. Diesel of course

I had been driving a Merc 220 previous to this and it was rubbish in comparison, noisy, harsh and no room, the only good thing about it was the engine, would pull a house down.

The C5 has a similar front suspension set up to the CX with central steering knuckles, but multi link at the rear, how they get it to ride so well on springs I really don't know, but I have never found a better modern car that's better.

I liked the exclusive with leather etc but they only made those in auto and hydronumatic and I didn't want either on the grounds of reliability. My wife decided she wanted one too! I found a VTR the standard spec one but fitted with leather, satnav, parking sensors which must have been ordered like that new, paid 1800 pounds, which is way more than I usually pay for a car, had to go to Peterborough for it and raid the pension fund but it was well worth it - never seen another one.

Ours are both estates. Try one if you get the chance I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised, if you like soft suspension but they handle well too, very wide..

Peter

Missing a magic carpet ride?
That'll be the Citroen GS, BX and Xantia then......absolutely superb comfort, road holding and braking with its hydropneumatic system and LHM fluid.
This is also my experience.
However gentlemen, since I started driving an Audi with air suspensions, I can say that my car ride is as comfortable as my armchair.
If you have a chance try it.

Can't afford anything that new. Pleased to hear Audi have started fitting springs to there cars though, never used to feel as though had any.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I never really understood why Citroen binned the hydro system.....not overly complex really but so versatile - automatic load compensation, brick wall effect brakes and I've actually changed a rear wheel on a BX with the ride height on maximum without a jack (not sure if it worked on the front.)
The only issue I had was the corrosion of the metal pipes - they were notoriously difficult to shift due to their small diameter and soft ferrules.
I fabricated my own tool for removing the spheres based on a chain wrench but 1/2" drive......15 seconds to shift any sphere.
The BX wasn't prone to corrosion, had numerous plastic panels and fab XUD diesels.....1.9 non turbo and I think the turbo one was 1.7.

My old Jag has a sort of magic carpet ride, well actually a bit wallowy. I think the suspension is goosed.

Jags usually do ride well, one of the few.

John

The C5 X7 as its called has got hydrophnumatic suspension but it was an option although I think most of the early cars had it - except mine. Looking at the fault reports on the FCF it seems most problems are with the suspension or auto box which is why I didn't want either. They do suffer from leaking steering racks, very poorly designed, water gets into the pinion shaft and rusts it which chews the seal up, I know of one chap that's had three! Both of mine leak but not very fast so I just carry a can of LDS fluid round with me.

Peter

I never really understood why Citroen binned the hydro system.....not overly complex really but so versatile - automatic load compensation, brick wall effect brakes and I've actually changed a rear wheel on a BX with the ride height on maximum without a jack (not sure if it worked on the front.)
The only issue I had was the corrosion of the metal pipes - they were notoriously difficult to shift due to their small diameter and soft ferrules.
I fabricated my own tool for removing the spheres based on a chain wrench but 1/2" drive......15 seconds to shift any sphere.
The BX wasn't prone to corrosion, had numerous plastic panels and fab XUD diesels.....1.9 non turbo and I think the turbo one was 1.7.
It doesn't work on the fronts. I had a short spell in a Citroen dealership in the late 70's when DS's and GS's were on the go. I think that was the first time I had seen discs on the back of a car. Headlights that went round the corner, too. Great cars to drive.

Thanks for that, Stivino (y)
Just scratching me nut here....the GS had a boxer / maybe a flat four engine, didn't they? I remember the contact breaker points were in a cassette and located at the back of the engine - am I right?
I recall fitting a couple but for the life of me I can't remember how or how to adjust them.

I had forgotten about the cassette points. I remember them being at the front, just behind the fan. Although I don't think they all had cassette, maybe just the later ones.
It was an air cooled boxer engine.
The front discs were inboard, right next to the gearbox.
On reflection, I think you are right about the points. The distributor was sticking out at the back. It must have been the 2CV that had it behind the fan. It was so long ago that I can hardly remember.

Last edited:
Among all the cars I've owned over the past 56 years, the closest to the ride of a Citroen (BX & Zantia estates) have been two 5series BMW's (E34 touring & E39 saloon) from the late 'nineties.
How BMW manage to design a steel spring suspension that is so comfortable, yet will corner like the car is on rails, is beyond me.

Have you driven a steel sprung C5? an experience not to be missed.

Peter

Have you driven a steel sprung C5? an experience not to be missed. Peter

No I haven't Peter, though I was once a rear seat passenger in one. That was a few years ago, so I don't know if it was the same model year as you describe.

Guys, deviating slightly from the thread subject there is a very watchable video on YouTube of an impressive Citroen CX25 Gti turbo in pristine condition. The presenter, Ian Tyrrell, is an engineer who mainly restores classic Italian sports cars but the sight of the Citroen in his garage prompted a lot of interest, hence the video. He certainly covers some interesting Citroenesque matters pertaining to several models.

WARNING TO PETER: He doesn’t do diesels! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back