Don’t let your door blow open!

I don't do petrols. I think the last one I owned had a carburetor and distributor - maybe even a dynamo.;)

Peter

Sponsored Links
Oh I remember the points on 2CV, my first thought was what a silly place to put them, going to be really hard to adjust, each service put the dwell meter on the car, and they didn't need adjusting, so not really a problem.

I see head lights which switch on when turning corners have returned with some cars, but to have a suspension good enough to mount a camera on top of the car and follow houses around a race track takes some beating.

My C5's have got those 'cornering lamps'. At first I thought they were just a gimmick but for driving round the country lanes where I live they are excellent.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Oh I remember the points on 2CV, my first thought was what a silly place to put them, going to be really hard to adjust, each service put the dwell meter on the car, and they didn't need adjusting, so not really a problem.

Ford flathead V8 > Dissy at the front of the crankcase.
Mark position & remove dissy'
Set (twin) points on a device that resembled a wooden cigar box, with a flat 6v battery inside & a bulb showing through the lid.
Insert/line up dissy with previous position marks.
Job done.

nb. For maximum discomfort carry out this task on Stockholm's quayside, late at night, by torchlight & in the pouring rain :rolleyes:

And we call it the 'good 'ole days'

Last edited:
I seem to remember a special jig to set points on V8 pilot.

Yes, a friend & myself co-owned a British WW2 15cwt. truck (WOT 2) at the time & that was the vehicle in question. A group of us had just landed off the ferry & we going to drive through the night with the intention of meeting up with fellow WW2 vehicle enthusiasts in Norway.
The truck was sold in the late 'nineties, but I've no idea what happened to the timing device. Shame really as such a tool must be extremely rare today.

Sponsored Links
Back