Don't use Internet explorer

Error found!

You do not have a suitable web browser. You must have Internet Explorer Version 6 or 7.
You must correct this error before you are able to use Promap

it won't display the site at all ? It works fine for me ,prior to the login stage of course

Sponsored Links
No, the site works but i got that message when i tried to log into our account.

And to your previous reply, yeah i'm not worried about switching to IE when viewing these sites (now down to 2 - and one of those i rarely look at anyway) but it'd be nice to get rid of IE altogether.

Although it then leaves one open to this supposed security flaw

Sponsored Links
but the fact is, they're not compatible with The Internet

I've heard some ridiculous statements before, but that takes the biscuit.

Can you give me a list of the sites you tried to access with FF and failed? That would make very interesting reading.

For one, any forum that used the same software as DIYnot.com (bbcode?). Perhaps that has been fixed by now, but at the time the only way to make it work was to manually install a plug-in, then manually configure it, and even then it was unstable.

Whereas with IE, the procedure was to erm... go to the website and it worked. Straight out of the box.

I know that Firefox has some sort of compatibility mode with a name like "allow sh*te websites to work", but why isn't this the default, with an option to set it to "anally-retentive compliance-testing engineer mode"? :LOL:

The thing is, I'm a man who likes Linux (no fanboy though), and in my anally-retentive engineer days I programmed assembler and have written a couple of data-transfer protocols too. So I'm not afraid of anything that is a little more involved. Apart from vi. I hate vi.

I think that things should work out of the box, properly, in the environment for which they were designed. If Firefox is designed to work as a web browser, it should work as a web browser with no cludges and fudges. :idea:

For one, any forum that used the same software as DIYnot.com (bbcode?). Perhaps that has been fixed by now, but at the time the only way to make it work was to manually install a plug-in, then manually configure it, and even then it was unstable.

FF works 'out of the box' as you call it perfectly on this forum and every other I am member of.

I think that things should work out of the box, properly, in the environment for which they were designed

it does

If Firefox is designed to work as a web browser, it should work as a web browser with no cludges and fudges. icon_idea.gif

Without wanting to repeat myself. It does!

This has been my reason for continuing with IExplorer. I've tried Opera, Firefox and a third one (can't remember which) but the fact is, they're not compatible with The Internet. How infuriating.

Yes, web-design types remind me that this is because bad web-designers don't conform to the documented standards properly. But, if IExplorer is compatible with ~100% of the WWW and Firecox only works with ~90%, then I know which is the de facto standard.

I live in rural Bedfordshire. Many of my neighbours drive off-roaders and can go anywhere. I drive a small sports car because it's faster and it does the things I want, but I have to stick to the better roads so I don't get stuck. The rutted old tracks are there for me to use, but I accept that my choice of car carries advantages and disadvantages. I don't whinge that the council should come and tarmac every rutted track in the area simply because my car can't drive on them. If I wanted to have a car "compatible" with all the roads, I'd buy the larger, slower and less efficient off-roader.

I have a snotty half baked little website that is of little practical value to my biz but just to "hi, I'm on the net". I trial'n'error designed it myself but still took the effort to make sure it worked with exploder, netscape and the apple one.

What is astounding is how many- small by % but significant, in some cases very large companies that want your money yet not enough it seems to be @ssed to make sure their site works in a browser that millions of potential customers use.

Oh, and I switched after a "non serious" bug allowed a "homepage hijacker" -one of exploders many vulnerabilities- to decide I'd like to view some graphic pedophilia.

Sponsored Links
Back