Don't use Internet explorer

Sponsored Links
"I cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw," said John Curran, head of Microsoft UK's Windows group.

Maybe not, but there are many other reasons to switch browser. I've been using Firefox for years - just wish website creators would universally make sure their sites are compatible with all browsers.

I tried Firefox for a while but as it didnt support my password safe application i went back to using IE7 during that time I didnt really see any reason to continue using Firefox, maybe due to the fast speed of my connection i couldnt see any speed difference between them and maybe there were hidden features in Firefox that dont exist in IE but as i didnt have any use for them there didnt seem any point in changing.
As regards this security flaw it isnt the first and im sure it wont be the last but whats stopping these idiots from doing the same to all the other browsers? So far i've had no problems, maybe the scaremongering is relating to a barebones installation whereas i have other security applications running alongside IE

Sponsored Links
just wish website creators would universally make sure their sites are compatible with all browsers.

This has been my reason for continuing with IExplorer. I've tried Opera, Firefox and a third one (can't remember which) but the fact is, they're not compatible with The Internet. How infuriating.

Yes, web-design types remind me that this is because bad web-designers don't conform to the documented standards properly. But, if IExplorer is compatible with ~100% of the WWW and Firecox only works with ~90%, then I know which is the de facto standard.

I live in rural Bedfordshire. Many of my neighbours drive off-roaders and can go anywhere. I drive a small sports car because it's faster and it does the things I want, but I have to stick to the better roads so I don't get stuck. The rutted old tracks are there for me to use, but I accept that my choice of car carries advantages and disadvantages. I don't whinge that the council should come and tarmac every rutted track in the area simply because my car can't drive on them. If I wanted to have a car "compatible" with all the roads, I'd buy the larger, slower and less efficient off-roader.

but whats stopping these idiots from doing the same to all the other browsers?

Just the fact that IE is the most used browser worldwide so they know by attacking that, they will affect the most people.

I use Firefox simply because i prefer how it looks and find it easier to use and because i disagree with the way Microsoft products are forced down your necks as a consumer. There are two websites that i use regularly that don't work with Firefox so i have to keep IE on my pc for when i'm using these sites which is annoying.

You must have terrible roads in Bedfordshire Donk?? I live and work in rural Derbyshire and my boss used to have an Audi TT and now has a Porsche Boxster (a backward step in my opinion - but thats a different topic). The drive to our office is a rouch track and much of our work is on farms or in fields in the middle of nowhere and only once has he been failed to get to site in these cars.

I quite like your car/road analogy, although i'd assume that if you wanted to get to somewhere down a rough track there would be an alternative tarmaced road. If i go on a site that doesn't work with Firefox there is often no alternative than to buy the 'off-roader' (IE) to get to where i want to go. And also, i'm pretty sure the local council probably don't care if you can get down the rough roads in your sporty little number whereas the people who own these websites would (or should) prefer that everyone can get to use their website regardless of what software they have????

Are the people writing the virus programmes the sames ones who write anti-virus programmes,keep themselves in a job wouln't it?

but the fact is, they're not compatible with The Internet

I've heard some ridiculous statements before, but that takes the biscuit.

Can you give me a list of the sites you tried to access with FF and failed? That would make very interesting reading.

BoxClever,

The two i have problems with are:-

http://www.promap.co.uk/promap/index.jsp - where we download O.S. Map extracts

and

http://www.alt.netstationers.co.uk/ - our stationery suppliers.

I've even contacted Promap and they just told me to use IE instead.

Andrew,

Netstaioners works perfectly with the addon. I can also access Promap without issue, but as I don't have an account so I can't download maps :cry:

My objection wasn't that there may not be a handfull of sites out there that FF cannot access, it was the ridiculous statement that it wasn't compatible with the internet :rolleyes:

Yeah, i understood the point you were trying to make - just thought you might be able to shed some light on why these don't work. To be honest its a while since i tried these sites with Firefox so they may have solved the problem now. I can load them both but it was when you log in to the user areas that the problems began, in Promap i don't think the O.S. maps would display on-screen and on netstationers it wouldn't recognise our discounted account prices only the standard catalogue prices in Firefox but it did in IE.

A 'weather-cam' on a local website will also only work in IE but thats a low budget website and not a national company so i wouldn't expect the web-creator to be too worried about getting it to work with Firefox.

EDIT: I've tried them both now - You're correct, i can get Netstationers to work with the add-on but Promap just came up with:-

Error found!

You do not have a suitable web browser. You must have Internet Explorer Version 6 or 7.
You must correct this error before you are able to use Promap

Yeah, i understood the point you were trying to make - just thought you might be able to shed some light on why these don't work. To be honest its a while since i tried these sites with Firefox so they may have solved the problem now. I can load them both but it was when you log in to the user areas that the problems began, in Promap i don't think the O.S. maps would display on-screen and on netstationers it wouldn't recognise our discounted account prices only the standard catalogue prices in Firefox but it did in IE.

A 'weather-cam' on a local website will also only work in IE but thats a low budget website and not a national company so i wouldn't expect the web-creator to be too worried about getting it to work with Firefox.

It may be worth checking the latest version of FF to see if it performs any better, on saying that if you only have to use IE for those 3 websites it's not a big deal.

:D

Sponsored Links
Back