Don't use Internet explorer

Is it because it seems to be an integral part of windows? Some suggestion perhaps that windows will cease to function properly without it?

Sponsored Links
Is it because it seems to be an integral part of windows? Some suggestion perhaps that windows will cease to function properly without it?
Yes and possibly Yes :D I believe it is possible however it has that many disadvantages that probably best left alone (unused) IMO.
Quote:
Removing Internet Explorer does have a number of consequences. Some applications that depend on libraries installed by IE may fail to function, or have unexpected behaviors. Intuit's Quicken is a typical example, which depends heavily upon the HTML rendering components installed by the browser. The Windows help and support system will also not function due to the heavy reliance on HTML help files and components of IE. In versions of Windows before Vista, it is also not possible to run Microsoft's Windows Update or Microsoft Update with any other browser due to the service's implementation of an ActiveX control, which no other browser supports. In Windows Vista, Windows Update is implemented as a Control Panel applet.

For one, any forum that used the same software as DIYnot.com (bbcode?). Perhaps that has been fixed by now, but at the time the only way to make it work was to manually install a plug-in, then manually configure it, and even then it was unstable.

FF works 'out of the box' as you call it perfectly on this forum and every other I am member of.

So they've fixed it have they? It didn't work when I installed Firefox on one of my own machines (admittedly a couple of years ago). But, if they've fixed it, good on 'em.

I occasionally have to use it on other people's computers and I still don't like it though.

If you mean uninstalling it, that is not sensible.

Off the top of my head, doesn't the "EU antitrust" version of Windows come without Internet Explorer? Could be something to look into for anyone who wants Windows specifically without IE.

I dont really understand the different versions of windows like the one above, if bill gates wanted to sell them as seperates he would have done so but he sold them as a complete package called Windows so how can others say its forcing them into using a particular browser or not when they bought into the product?
You either like windows or not, you buy windows or not?

I wouldnt go to a particular washing machine manufacturer shall we say hotpoint as its well known and say i like your machine but the style of the handle is not to my taste and you are now forcing me to use a product i'm not 100% happy with, i'm sure i know what their reply would be :D
so why did this argument with Microsoft manage to force them into producing another "incomplete" version?
Am i right in thinking it was threat of legal action that forced his hand and if so why?

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt go to a particular washing machine manufacturer shall we say hotpoint as its well known and say i like your machine but the style of the handle is not to my taste and you are now forcing me to use a product i'm not 100% happy with, i'm sure i know what their reply would be :D

Im not sure thats quite the same thing? Windows is an Operating System which make a computer operate. If it didn't include IE it would still be an OS and would still make your computer operate. If Hotpoint sold you a washing machine that didn't include the handles it wouldn't work?

If Hotpoint sold you a Washing machine that was also a TV, but you could get a TV elsewhere that looked nicer, was easier to use, worked better and was free to anyone, would you still want it included in the Washing machine? And if the Washing Machine was cheaper without the TV included?

The point is if you want an OS for your computer you can either choose Windows or another OS. If you want Windows as your OS you don't get the choice of browser because you get MS's browser whether you want it or not.

Ah i see your point :D then perhaps one shouldnt buy windows and get another OS?

Just out of interest - why???

As Tony has said. There are numerous programs that depend on IE. Some anti virus programs won't update without it.

It is do able, but there would have to be a damn good reason why.

So they've fixed it have they? It didn't work when I installed Firefox on one of my own machines (admittedly a couple of years ago). But, if they've fixed it, good on 'em.

2 years ago ? :eek: Two years in computing is a lifetime!

I occasionally have to use it on other people's computers and I still don't like it though.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less if you never use it. And if you don't like it thats fine also. It was the totally false statement you made about it not being internet compatible that I took offence to.

Here is the Firefox addon that you need Tim.

538311.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back