Door not taking paint? Wood still damp?

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my front door dipped and stripped about 2 weeks ago and thought with all the dry weather it would be ok to primer as I've been filling bits in here and there. It's an original door, must be about 100 years old.

However, after I whacked a quick coat on I had a patch like this:

imageuwcv.jpg

As you can see it discoloured and is still a bit soft (I used water-based primer).

I've taken the paint off it, could it still be damp? Even after it hasn't been touched with water in over 2 (dry, and mostly hot) weeks?

If so how can I speed it up drying out? Any help/advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
May still have stripping agent in it after dipping, dipping ruins doors, removes all natural oils and with an exterior door it will absorb moisture very easily and warp or even fall apart. :cry:
The section in photo looks like it might actually be rotten, if you can push a blunt screwdriver into it then this is probably the case.

Aaaargh!

Wish I knew that before getting it stripped.

Will just have to leave it out in the open for a bit longer. Luckily it's under a porch so hopefully it won't fall apart too soon :(

Thanks for the tip anyway, much appreciated

I think there must be some resin in the wood that is seap[ing out. To stop this happening a coat of a white shellac based primer like Smith & Rodger Multiseal will do the job.

It's excellent a sealing in any old 'nasties' prior to painting.

Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
A cheap oil based primer will sort it,

Had the same probelm with a door that i had dipped. Dipping is caustic and if not washed off properly will come out later in the paint. Oil based undercoat may still not seal it. Zinsser Bin 123 was used and this stopped it. As mentioned, Shellac based sealers usually do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back