downlight installation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing some fire rated downlights in my flat which has a double skin ceiling mounted on alloy beams/gurders 600mm apart that are running 90 deg to the joists which are 400mm apart.

I have worked all the spacing out and started to drill the holes and have found that one of the alloy beams is not running parallel to the wall so 2 of the downlight holes are sitting over the beam!

Can I safely cut this section of beam/gurder out or will this compromise the ceiling strength?

Sponsored Links
Are these really gurders (sic), or are you talking about a plasterboard suspension system, e.g. Gypframe?

Sponsored Links
Are these really gurders (sic), or are you talking about a plasterboard suspension system, e.g. Gypframe?

Sorry for the terrible description - yes I think I mean suspension system. Basically rather than fixing direct to the joists, they have used these thin aluminium beams to help with acoustics. That's my understanding anyway.

Should be intuitively obvious when you look at it what's likely to happen if you cut part of the framework away? You might have to lift a few floorboards above to get a feel for how resilient the structure is.

Check in the Building or Plastering forums?

Gypframe is horrible stuff and not exactly strong at the best of times.

Cutting away any of it at all will definately compromise the strength and quite probably the fire resistance rating of your ceiling.

Can I safely cut this section of beam/gurder out or will this compromise the ceiling strength?
What do YOU think?

There you go, no, you cant. So fill the holes in and fit some proper lighting.

I will tell YOU what I think. The few times I have used this forum I have found helpful members but unfortunately to many nob heads like YOU who seem to enjoy making people feel stupid for asking a question AND get brave behind a keyboard as people don't tend to be rude to me in person.

Its a good job you are so gifted that you never have to ask for peoples advice.

Can you post some pictures and some of the more helpful members will sureley be able to help you , or go to another forum perhaps try searching for ultimate handyman they are a lot friendlier there :D :D :D

Nick

I will tell YOU what I think. The few times I have used this forum I have found helpful members but unfortunately to many nob heads like YOU
The way you asked the question implied that you knew the answer, just thought you'd confirm it. Your post also seemed to resemble one of those "I'm going to do it my way regardless of the expert opinion" posts.

<you> seem to enjoy making people feel stupid for asking a question AND get brave behind a keyboard as people don't tend to be rude to me in person.
I'm a nob head? Would you say that to me in real life? So who's getting brave behind a keyboard? What I said wasnt rude at all. I'd have said it to you in real life, because IMO its obvious that you dont cut into minimally-engineered structure, whether metal or wood. I apologise if I appeared rude.

Its a good job you are so gifted that you never have to ask for peoples advice.
Once again, you're jumping to conclusions. I have asked numerous times on this forum for advice. On a plethora of subjects, including electrics.

There was no need to be rude. People are rude to me all the time - its my job in customer service. The customer aint always right. Neither is the OP.

Looks like a gypframe top hat profile. Can you get your fingers over the edge of the metal and see if it drops down to the plasterboard level ?

Does it all look like its one part , not two different parts joined together.

Is it made of thin tin all over or is the left side of it made of thicker steel?

Nick

Looks like a gypframe top hat profile. Can you get your fingers over the edge of the metal and see if it drops down to the plasterboard level ?

Does it all look like its one part , not two different parts joined together.

Is it made of thin tin all over or is the left side of it made of thicker steel?

Nick

Yes it drops down to the plasterboard and i think its all one piece formed by bent tin.

Provided it IS gypframe , then its no big problem drilling through it , However I am a bit dubious as i have not seen it with a perforated edge, and the bottom does not look the same as the flange side, so i am not 100% convinced that it is gypframe. what does the other hole look like ? it might make it clearer.

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back