downlight installation problem

There may be other tin-work immediately above, crossing over. Possibly this may provide some support to 'hold it all together'.

You would be well advised to refer to the DIYnot BUILDING forum.

In future, before cutting the holes, always use a bradawl to make a pilot hole in the centre of the light position first, then make a hole in the 'corners' of the circle. Bad English, but you probably know what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Yep it sure looks like it . In my oppinion drilling the rest of the metal out for that downlight will have no bearing on its functionality. One final thing to check before drilling it out is make sure there is no other structura above it that will get in the way of the downlights. Try using a bent coathanger and stick that up in the hole and feel around for anything, or a mirror and a torch.

Nick

Theres defiantly no restrictions above and i have adequate clearance around the hole (apart from the bar).

From all the poking around with extra long coat hangers (to route T&E) I'm sure the bars are mounted direct to the joists as the gap between the ceiling and joists is approx the same thickness of the bars and vice versa in the other direction.

Sponsored Links
But they'll light the void up beautifully, in a rainbow of colours!

Can you post some pictures and some of the more helpful members will sureley be able to help you , or go to another forum perhaps try searching for ultimate handyman they are a lot friendlier there :D :D :D

Nick

Cheers Nick

[/img]

What did you use to make this hole?

A regular hole saw would have a pilot drill in the centre which would
a) made a small hole in the tin which there isn't.
b) alerted you to the presence of the tin before you drilled right through the ceiling.

Can you post some pictures and some of the more helpful members will sureley be able to help you , or go to another forum perhaps try searching for ultimate handyman they are a lot friendlier there :D :D :D

Nick

Cheers Nick

[/img]

What did you use to make this hole?

A regular hole saw would have a pilot drill in the centre which would
a) made a small hole in the tin which there isn't.
b) alerted you to the presence of the tin before you drilled right through the ceiling.

The picture was taken at a slight angle. The tin is not quite centre of the hole so i didn't spot it until it was too late.

A regular hole saw was used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back