Downloading Musak...

BAS.

Try as I may, I cannot think of one person on this site as boring or offensive as you.

B.A.S. Boring and Sullen.

Sponsored Links
anyone out there using a Mac to look at this website?

anyone?

hello?

(if you are using a mac, plz dont p on my bonfire lol )

hmmm. . . . . must be a windows thing. :LOL:

And i bet your icons have a description on them, dont they? i used my mate's mac laptop, all i could figure out how to do was play CDs. couldn't access his music coll'n. Windows media player, and i would have been there straight away. Even as a beginner.

when i said about the internet being designed for windows, i meant most sites that say "designed for microsoft internet explorer 7.whatever", and a lot of servers run windows, its a compatibility thing. Wheres the internet support for Macs? i have never seen a site saying "optimised for mac explorer" or whatever the mac explorer is called.

that long string of icons - i only recognise about half of them - the ones that are microsoft brand :LOL: . oh, and icq and bt openworld? and - ooooh - apple quicktime! :eek: ban, is that YOUR quicklaunch bar?

I would use other operating systems, on which i can run normal software efficiently, and could possibly convert back to using windows if i didnt like it. this is the thing - a mac will only run macos. i understand some people can get around this, but macs are designed for mac os, and you will have very great difficulty trying to install, say, windows on it.

an IBM-compatible, ordinary PC, will run pretty much any operating system. With a mac, you are stuck.

BACK TO THE TOPIC, I-pods are nice. did you get i-tunes, Simon?

crafty1289 said:

anyone?

hello?

I'm not denying that Windows dominates the PC landscape.

But the fact that MacOS has minority support doesn't mean it's no good.

And i bet your icons have a description on them, dont they?
The ones on the desktop do, but not the others. Same with yours, if you are running XP.

i used my mate's mac laptop, all i could figure out how to do was play CDs. couldn't access his music coll'n. Windows media player, and i would have been there straight away. Even as a beginner.
OK - so MacOS is too hard for you and you can't be @rsed to learn.

when i said about the internet being designed for windows, i meant most sites that say "designed for microsoft internet explorer 7.whatever", and a lot of servers run windows, its a compatibility thing.
No - that's b*ll*cks. Writing HTML that exploits Explorer quirks, and possibly breaks Netscape (or vice-versa) is one thing, but that has nothing to do with the underlying server platform.

DIYNot, for example, is running on a Linux server using the Apache webserver - a very popular combination. Other non-IIS webserver products are available from IBM, BEA Systems, Sun Microsystems, Oracle Corporation, HPQ etc etc, and 3 of those can also provide you with an alternative OS to Windows or Linux as well.

I don't know how many Apache sites run on Windows, but it's probably very few (I mean, why would you), and Apache has 63% market share, compared to 29% for Microsoft.

So no - I'm afraid that most of the Internet does not run on Windows.

ban, is that YOUR quicklaunch bar?
Yes.

an IBM-compatible, ordinary PC, will run pretty much any operating system. With a mac, you are stuck.
So? It's the user's choice.

Sponsored Links
mlb3c said:
down side?....."runs with scissors" :evil: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
at your mac? :LOL: dont blame you.

but ban, in the end, it is the user's choice, thats one thing we will aggree on.

How do you know DIYNot runs on a Linux server using Apache webserver? And what does a Linux OS look like? i have heard a lot about it, never used it though.

crafty1289 said:
How do you know DIYNot runs on a Linux server using Apache webserver? And what does a Linux OS look like? i have heard a lot about it, never used it though.

Its in the HTTP header that gets sent back everytime you load a page, either he is using a browser that lets him display that information, or he is pretending to be a browser with a telnet client or something of that ilk...

200 OK HTTP/1.0
x-powered-by: PHP/4.3.10-16
set-cookie: diyusr=deleted; expires=Wed, 17-Aug-05 17:41:19 GMT; path=/; domain=.diynot.com, diypsw=deleted; expires=Wed, 17-Aug-05 17:41:19 GMT; path=/; domain=.diynot.com
server: Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-16 mod_perl/1.29
connection: close
date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:41:20 GMT
content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

Adam_151 said:
crafty1289 said:

Its in the HTTP header that gets sent back everytime you load a page, either he is using a browser that lets him display that information, or he is pretending to be a browser with a telnet client or something of that ilk...
Nothing so sophisticated - I just went here: http://www.netcraft.com/ and asked it....

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=//www.diynot.com

crafty1289 said:
And what does a Linux OS look like? i have heard a lot about it, never used it though.
It looks an awful lot like Unix.....

So the GUI desktop look & feel depends on what you run. Most people use either GNOME or KDE, but I expect Motif is also available.

If you've got spare space on your hard drive, get a copy of Partition Magic, carve out a new partition, download Linux (it's free. Popular distributions are Redhat, SUSE and Debian) and start playing.

Well - maybe do a bit of reading first - if you've no Unix experience you might struggle. I'm sure there are plenty of Linux fora out there where you can find folk to tell you which is the best distribution (and then others to argue) and what the gotchas are, particularly with graphics card and networking support that you'll need to be wary of when you first install.

I see you have lotus shortcuts on your taskbar ban, just being nosey do you use lotus notes instead of outlook?
I have wondered about using linux for a while, I got a copy on a PCW coverdisk last month so its just begging for me to scrub my old hard drive and install it. Whats the score with viruses, spyware etc with linux?

crafty1289 said:

anyone?

hello?

And i bet your icons have a description on them, dont they? i used my mate's mac laptop, all i could figure out how to do was play CDs. couldn't access his music coll'n. Windows media player, and i would have been there straight away. Even as a beginner.

when i said about the internet being designed for windows, i meant most sites that say "designed for microsoft internet explorer 7.whatever", and a lot of servers run windows, its a compatibility thing. Wheres the internet support for Macs? i have never seen a site saying "optimised for mac explorer" or whatever the mac explorer is called.

that long string of icons - i only recognise about half of them - the ones that are microsoft brand :LOL: . oh, and icq and bt openworld? and - ooooh - apple quicktime! :eek: ban, is that YOUR quicklaunch bar?

I would use other operating systems, on which i can run normal software efficiently, and could possibly convert back to using windows if i didnt like it. this is the thing - a mac will only run macos. i understand some people can get around this, but macs are designed for mac os, and you will have very great difficulty trying to install, say, windows on it.

BACK TO THE TOPIC, I-pods are nice. did you get i-tunes, Simon?

Oh dear. If I, or anyone I know, happens to secure a place as a contestant on Supermarket Sweep, (you know the one, compered by the camp dude off the lottery show) then crafty will be the first I consult as to which shelves to hit for maximum profitability. When it comes to computers though crafty talks *******s.

Spark123 said:
I see you have lotus shortcuts on your taskbar ban, just being nosey do you use lotus notes instead of outlook?
Yes - my employer's choice, not mine...

I have wondered about using linux for a while, I got a copy on a PCW coverdisk last month so its just begging for me to scrub my old hard drive and install it. Whats the score with viruses, spyware etc with linux?
Dunno - probably better than Microsloth. Certainly a better and more active community to fix problems.

This might be a useful place to start: http://www.enterprise-security-toda...t-Draws-Ire/story.xhtml?story_id=101007BZFJ3R

Remember if you get stuck in Linux, then rm -rf is your friendly command :evil:

[/bofh]

Back to the music: I went here in error:http://imusicnow.com/join.asp?d=

They said it would cost 17 something quid for as much music as I wanted.

When I filled out the forms, I discovered that they had added some software into the price, so I backed out of the transaction.

Next thing I know is I have an e-mail welcoming me to the site, confirming nearly 30 quid has been debited.

I have access to the site, but cannot find any sign of a debit from the company on my statements.

Neither can I find any contact info for the company. Well, a US number, but can't seem to get through.

Tried e-mailing them, but their e-mail page is incomplete...

Don't know how to proceed now... :cry:

Any hints?

Inform your bank of the situation and tell them to reject any requests for money from these people, write to these people and tell them strongly but politely that you do not know what they are playing but, but they should remove your account on their systems at once and they are not, under any circumstances permitted to remove any funds from your bank account

Sponsored Links
Back