Downloading Musak...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to buy an MP3 player and download music.

Which are the best players to go for, and the best/ most comprehensive sites?

Sponsored Links
i just started using i-tunes. dont have an MP3 player, but i-tunes is a very good programme, dont let the "apple" title put you off ;)

but anyway, welcome to the 21st century :LOL: ;) :cool:

I have a Creative Muvo N200 which I have had for a couple of years, use it about 4 times a week and I like it a lot. Not big enough for your entire collection (256mb) but easy enough to change the tracks every so often. If I got another one it would be another muvo but with more memory.
My wife bought a cheap mp3 player with no brand name and it was rubbish - keeps crashing and eats batteries.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
but anyway, welcome to the 21st century :LOL: ;) :cool:

Cheers mate!

Thought as I'm 40 now (creak!) better get up with the techno-techno-techno-logy before I croak...

Can you post a link for me to the site you use?

its not a website i use, its a programme, but the programme is downloadable, only a few meg. The programme incorporates the browser for the online itunes music library, as well as enabling you to see your downloaded songs and play them.

www.apple.com/itunes

Get an iPod Nano - they are fantastic little players and obviously link up pretty seamlessly with iTunes. A 4gb one would be more than enough for most - my Mrs has only updated hers about 3 times since shes had it.

I know some don't like Apple stuff (believe me I was an iPod cynic for some time) but they are a cut above.

chilluk said:
I know some don't like Apple stuff (believe me I was an iPod cynic for some time) but they are a cut above.
hmmm so was i. i was always reluctant to get i-tunes, because it was designed for the mac OS, but now i have it, it really is very good software. I HATE the Mac OS. The worst thing to come out of America for 30 years. Macs looks good, but sure aint practical or nice to use. Ipods are ok though.

Windows is user-friendly, you know where to start, the START button, everything is logical. You needn't read the instructions because it is self-explanatory. Mac boots up a desktop, and deserts you with a bunch of icons you have no idea about, it isn't logical, and you have to read the instructions to figure it out! :evil:

If you have to read the instructions, it isn't worth bothing with.

crafty1289 said:
I HATE the Mac OS.
I've never used it, but...

The worst thing to come out of America for 30 years.
That simply cannot be true

Macs looks good, but sure aint practical or nice to use.
AFAICT you are in a minority of MacOS users there

Windows is user-friendly,
YMBFJ

you know where to start, the START button, everything is logical. You needn't read the instructions because it is self-explanatory.
Ever tried to find decent help info though?

Mac boots up a desktop, and deserts you with a bunch of icons you have no idea about it isn't logical, and you have to read the instructions to figure it out! :evil: ,
You really really really really really need a much greater exposure to a much wider range of operating systems because you really really really really really need a much broader outlook.

So that rules out aeroplanes, power stations, dialysis machines, drug manufacturing plants and all their products..... The list goes on and on.

I have never in my life encountered such a pathetic and waster belief.

Well,

I'm a bit of an audiophile and I'd go Creative every time.

I own the Creative Zen touch, Ipod Video and Creative Vision M. The Creatives pee the Ipods on sound quality and the I Tunes format can be a pain. You can't rip it to mp3 without burning it to a cd and then ripping again to mp3.

I'd rather buy the cd from someone like Amazon ( about the same price as downloading from I tunes ) and then rip it to whatever format I like.

Ipod and I tunes are too restrictive and they still have not resolved the issue of battery life.

Do yourself a favour and get the Creative Vision M..... ;)

What about one of these:

itemg2.jpg

Must admit I'd never buy an album just in MP3 format - the prices are almost the same nowadays with all the cheapo CD sites - even local Tescos Sainsburys is only about a quid more. Quality / flexibility of a CD can't be beat - having said that they all then get loaded straight into iTunes.

Only time I'd purchase a track on MP3 is if I wanted a "single" or particular remix.

ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:
I HATE the Mac OS.
I've never used it, but... I have. its too "integrated", sort of like AOL which has everything in one programme, mac os has a bar with icons in (IIRC) and thats it

The worst thing to come out of America for 30 years.
That simply cannot be true maybe not, ok.

AFAICT you are in a minority of MacOS users there I dont use mac os, i just dont like computers that are designed to look good, instead of functioning well (although they may well work well). I'll bet quite a few people who buy a Mac dont realise it wont run windows until they get it home :LOL: The internet and networks are designed on a windows platform, so why buy a mac? i just dont see the appeal, apart from they look good.

Windows is user-friendly,
YMBFJ ??? . . . . . . . OHHHH!!! lol! well, i find it at least more intuitive than the mac os.

you know where to start, the START button, everything is logical. You needn't read the instructions because it is self-explanatory.
Ever tried to find decent help info though? i find most of the "help" pages are quite useful, except when you're having network trouble - when a good clout usually helps. of course, windows Help wont tell you this.

Mac boots up a desktop, and deserts you with a bunch of icons you have no idea about it isn't logical, and you have to read the instructions to figure it out! :evil: ,
You really really really really really need a much greater exposure to a much wider range of operating systems because you really really really really really need a much broader outlook.

So that rules out aeroplanes, power stations, dialysis machines, drug manufacturing plants and all their products..... The list goes on and on. this was meant to be sarcastic, a "homer simpson" type, lazy reply. you obviously didnt get this. some things you obviously must read the instructions for. IMO, a computer isn't one of them. wouldn't you feel stupid reading the instructions for your new PC? :confused:

I have never in my life encountered such a pathetic and waster belief. thanks. no offense . . . but is it me or does this comment make no sense?.

crafty1289 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:
I HATE the Mac OS.
I've never used it, but... I have. its too "integrated", sort of like AOL which has everything in one programme, mac os has a bar with icons in (IIRC) and thats it
Ironic that you've integrated your reply into my post in such a way that it's difficult to respond to each point.

But as for icon bars, when I look at my desktop I see icons on the task bar, in the system tray and on the Quick Start bar, so clearly Microsoft think there is something in that idea. I also have icons on my desktop, in just the same way that I have seen icons on MacOS desktops. GNOME desktops, KDE desktops, OSF/Motif desktops, TWM desktops....

AFAICT you are in a minority of MacOS users there
I dont use mac os, i just dont like computers that are designed to look good, instead of functioning well (although they may well work well).
Err - just how long have you been a Windows user? Function over form? YMBFJ.

I'll bet quite a few people who buy a Mac dont realise it wont run windows until they get it home :LOL:
<shrug>

The internet and networks are designed on a windows platform,
That will be why Windows 1.0 was released in 1985, by which time the concept of the Internet was 23 years old, ARPANET was 16 years old, email was 13 years old, TCP/IP was about 10 years old and ethernet was 12 years old.

And BTW - the first web browser was written for the NeXTSTEP platform, not Windows.

Unlike this collection, of course, which would be immediately obvious to anyone who'd never seen them before:

You only have no idea about MacOS icons because they are different to what you know and you refuse to make any effort to learn something new.

Like I said, you really really really really really need a much greater exposure to a much wider range of operating systems because you really really really really really need a much broader outlook.

some things you obviously must read the instructions for. IMO, a computer isn't one of them. wouldn't you feel stupid reading the instructions for your new PC? :confused:
1) Please understand the difference between

(i) "a computer", which might be anything from a PC to a Unix server to a mainframe to a multi-node parallel processing super-computer

(ii) Any of the operating systems that the above might run

(iii) A PC.

I probably wouldn't need to read much to be able to switch on a new PC.

I would not feel stupid reading about if it was not a PC.

I would not feel stupid reading about the operating system if it was one with which I was unfamiliar.

I would feel stupid if I adopted the attitude that I was not prepared to deal with anything new just because it was different to what I had previously encountered.

Sponsored Links
Back