Drilled into unexpected water pipe

Read Balenza's post again to understand what we are referring to.

Sponsored Links
And MrPlumb, if you edit posts after you have posted them please identify the post as such.

markplumb said:
let's not forget the pipe shouldnt be there in the first place? or is digging it out making it accessible?

Although they probably had the benefit of being legally installed at the time.
Current regs also allow for pipes to be installed in walls - as long as they are in a sleeve and are "easily to withdraw", it is the fittings that must be accessible - but of course you knew that, you're an experienced plumber ;)

so by fittings you mean you couldn't possibly bury a souldered BS 864 type fitting?

editing: but i guess you knew that.

Sponsored Links
Are you aware that the site has a spell checking facility?

It's the button below the "post a reply" text box with "Spell Check" written on it.

megawatt said:

It's the button below the "post a reply" text box with "Spell Check" written on it.

megawatt said:

Who gives a monkees aunt about spelling :LOL:

Most DIYers don't know what we're talking about anyway :oops:

megawatt said:
Some people need to practice with it a little :LOL:

you still havent mentioned what you do? exept for being a complete **** as a sideline :D

Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more ... Walls have ears, careless talk costs lives :LOL:

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Basically, the pipe had absolutely no give in it whatsoever, so using a compression fitting wouldn't have worked, as I couldn't get it in. Plus I've read both on here and elsewhere, that compression fit joints should only be used if accessible.

I tried using slip fittings with flux and solder, but this again didn't work, as although I managed to remove the damaged section, and fit the new section, there didn't appear to be enough pipe in the joint to form a good enough seal. As soon as the system got back up to mains pressure, the solder split at one of the joints.

I therefore had to remove this and start again. In the end I used four 90° elbows to allow me to make complete fittings. I made up a U shape with two elbows and connecting sections of pipe, then slotted this onto elbows from the original pipe. It's not ideal, and I'll probably get more abuse from the pro's on here, but short of removing half my newly plastered wall I couldn't see any other options.

Now I've just got a 20cm x 20cm hole in the wall to fill and plaster.

In retrospect I should have used a pipe finder before I drilled into the wall, but in that location it was an extremely odd place for a water pipe to be, and how many of you always check for pipes before putting up pictures, shelves etc.

there didn't appear to be enough pipe in the joint to form a good enough seal
Not sure what you mean about this as slip couplings slide completely over the join between the new insert and original pipe i.e. they don't have internal stops for the pipe.

At least you've got the water back on though so well done for that :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back