Drilled into unexpected water pipe

megawatt said:
there didn't appear to be enough pipe in the joint to form a good enough seal
Not sure what you mean about this as slip couplings slide completely over the join between the new insert and original pipe i.e. they don't have internal stops for the pipe.

At least you've got the water back on though so well done for that :LOL:

Then what I was given wasn't a slip coupling. Never mind. Have got my water back on, that's all that matters!

Sponsored Links
bet your glad you didnt get a jobsworth round to overcharge you and tell you everything your previous plumber has done everything wrong. horses for courses i guess.

FFS i nip up the pub for a few hours and a straight forward repair becomes a full blown fall out.. Mark plumb i seriously hope you are not an experienced guy and just a newbie who does as he has been told.. other than that you are a half wit who cannot think for himself

markplumb said:
so by fittings you mean you couldn't possibly bury a souldered BS 864 type fitting?

editing: but i guess you knew that.

Once the fitting is soldered do you not consider it to be part of the pipe?

Besides, the situation is in regards to repairing a pipe in the position in which it was legally installed at the time. Providing the materials used in it's repair are acceptable and the work is carried out in a way that will not cause contamination or waste of water what's the problem?

Sponsored Links
really how is that any different to a compression fitting? at the end of the day a fitting is a fitting and there the law ends.

EH. because it is a mechanical fitting heat/cold causes expansin an contraction with no where to move, and possible leaks.. your a 6 monther lets be honest

namsag said:
EH. because it is a mechanical fitting heat/cold causes expansin an contraction with no where to move, and possible leaks.. your a 6 monther lets be honest

your a cash man working for the gas board? i seen plently of them installs

Markplumb i learnt a long time ago never argue with an idiot as they will draw you down to there level and beat you with experience. Away and read somemore books

never read a book when i was an apprentice to be honest had terrible teachers in college(all that fire hydrant bullshit, but im glad i had a good bloke who knew what he was doing to teach me even if the ******s at the local acs(i forget what it was called before) place didnt have a clue. took them longer than most of the local installers to get up to standard. wow 17 years ago its a long time.

edit: actually when i think back had 1 very good teacher at college , he was the only one that had been on the tools.

FFS; All this over a pipe that was drilled through in a wall :eek: Cut out and replace. End of :rolleyes:

All replies seem ok to me, have we not got anything better to do than argue :eek:

I drilled through my own installed speedfit 10mm Friday :oops: Am I arguing with myself :eek:

No, just wish I'd kept it quiet :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

gas4you said:
FFS; All this over a pipe that was drilled through in a wall :eek: Cut out and replace. End of :rolleyes:

All replies seem ok to me, have we not got anything better to do than argue :eek:

I drilled through my own installed speedfit 10mm Friday :oops: Am I arguing with myself :eek:

No, just wish I'd kept it quiet :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

lol friday hometime :p what a *******

Compression fittings on BIV mixers should still be accessible from either the cover plate in the shower or an access panel in the wall behind. common sense.

Inaccessible compression fittings on gas are illegal. On water they are just plain stupid (see my recent post about a Shower I fitted outside normal travelling distance).

If you were/weren't advocating covering the fitting or not (Mark Plumb) I am not really interested, but you can safely assume that if the pipe was concealed and covered before it was drilled the future prospect for any repair is likely to be the same. As a professional you should have seen this grief coming a mile off ;).

And the Agile wire strand repair was very handy - I have done it twice, it only worked once though :( but that was an odd situation and I couldn't get a good solder run. I would never consider using it for gas though!!!!!

am new to this site and going through some forums this one has made me laugh. i work for british gas and found some of the comments about the gas board are very funny

chilli985 said:
am new to this site and going through some forums this one has made me laugh. i work for british gas and found some of the comments about the gas board are very funny

Firstly, welcome. I hope you have a thick skin as several on here, mention no names but you will soon find out who, haven't a good word about BG employees :eek:

There are other BG operatives here so you are not alone.

I tend to take each post as I find it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back