drilling through wiring

Yes it is directly above the socket except that the socket is 6 inches from the floor and the damage is 6 inches from the ceiling. But I reckon you could draw a pretty straight vertical line between the two
The point is you're supposed to spot the socket and realise that there have to be cable(s) running to/from it, and that you should look to see which direction they enter/leave the back box.

Anyway - it's definitely worth seeing if you can pull new cable(s) into that conduit.

Yes and the annoying thing is I already knew it was there. I was concentrating on the fact that it was the exact spot I needed to centre my blind rather than thinking if it was the appropriate spot from an electric point of view, also I was looking up not down.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for this in depth answer. The cable is tight to the wall behind it and covered over completely with plaster so the blank plate might be the way to go. How large does it have to be and can I paint it to match the existing wall?

The standard blank plates are the same sizes as the standard single or double socket plates.

As there is already a socket identifying the safe zone of the cable, I see no reason why you cannot paint them to match the wall, providing you leave the joint accessible, it should be fine.

I always favour the new cable option, I would pull a new cable in to honest.
You can use a MF boxes to joint cables in ceiling/floor voids, but you cannot bury these in the walls

Yes and the annoying thing is I already knew it was there. I was concentrating on the fact that it was the exact spot I needed to centre my blind rather than thinking if it was the appropriate spot from an electric point of view, also I was looking up not down.

Strange place to have a blind :confused:

Anyway, if you shift the bracket left an inch and up a couple of inches, the blanking plate will surely be hidden from view behind the blind :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back