drilling through wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The other day I was drilling a hole in the wall about six inches below the ceiling coving.

I made two holes so that I could fit a blind. A sudden flash and a small bang followed by the electric going off, alerted me to the fact that I had drilled into the wiring dedicated to a single wall socket. After checking the electrics still worked okay I turned it off at the box and started digging into the wall to expose the problem. Having exposed an area approx 6 inches long and 2 inches deep I realised that the cable sits snugly to the brick and has been plastered over. Consequently I can't just yank up the cable to the loft to effect a repair, moreover the cable is right up against the eaves and I would need to start removing roof tiles to gain access. Finally I would also have no way to get it back down the wall without a cavity. Having read some posts on here I get the impression that if I effect a repair through the exposed area in the wall I would then have to put a plate on the wall. In the lounge this would be ugly and look ridiculous. Would I have to do this or is there any way I can get round it? If I hire an electrician would he also have to put a plate on the wall?

Sponsored Links
Might be able to get away with a crimped joint depends on home much slack you've got if any. Photos might help?

If you have enough length on the cable you can rejoin, but the method has to be one that is deemed maintenance free. So as already mentioned crimped/soldered joints plus heat shrink sheath. Other than that it is as you are already aware of, it's either rip out and a new length or a blank plate over the repair. Or make the circuit/socket redundant and kill power to it and remove.

Sponsored Links
No loft above? If you don't use the socket, it could be disconnected and the ring ends joined above.

Is the socket you mentioned vertically below the damage area?

Yes it is directly above the socket except that the socket is 6 inches from the floor and the damage is 6 inches from the ceiling. But I reckon you could draw a pretty straight vertical line between the two

No loft above? If you don't use the socket, it could be disconnected and the ring ends joined above.

I have thought about this and it would be the easiest solution and there is a loft. However the previous owners have left it in a bad way and its not on this years to do list. The socket is only one of three in a lounge diner so I am loathe to lose it altogether.

If you have enough length on the cable you can rejoin, but the method has to be one that is deemed maintenance free. So as already mentioned crimped/soldered joints plus heat shrink sheath. Other than that it is as you are already aware of, it's either rip out and a new length or a blank plate over the repair. Or make the circuit/socket redundant and kill power to it and remove.

Thank you for this in depth answer. The cable is tight to the wall behind it and covered over completely with plaster so the blank plate might be the way to go. How large does it have to be and can I paint it to match the existing wall?

Yes it is directly above the socket except that the socket is 6 inches from the floor and the damage is 6 inches from the ceiling. But I reckon you could draw a pretty straight vertical line between the two
The point is you're supposed to spot the socket and realise that there have to be cable(s) running to/from it, and that you should look to see which direction they enter/leave the back box.

Anyway - it's definitely worth seeing if you can pull new cable(s) into that conduit.

Thank you for this in depth answer. The cable is tight to the wall behind it and covered over completely with plaster so the blank plate might be the way to go. How large does it have to be and can I paint it to match the existing wall?
If you can't get any slack at all, then you would probably struggle to effect any sort of in-situ repair, even if you were prepared to put a 'blank plate' over it. A crimped repair would not necessarily need a blank plate but, again, might be difficult/impossible if there is absolutely no slack available.

In answer to your question. standard 'blank plates' are the same size as single sockets or light switches.

However, I'm a bit confused. Isn't that cable in plastic conduit? If so, it ought to be possible to 'pull the cable through', probably from the loft. Is it just one cable, or two?

Kind Regards, John

It would seem easier to cut a few inches out of the damaged cable, then crimp in a replacement section....?

Cut a neat hole in the ceiling, and pull cable out of conduit so it hangs out of the ceiling. Draw new cable through conduit.

Join cables with 30/32 amp maintenance free junction box. Ashley/Hager do them.

Fix ceiling with a strip of wood and screws, lightly fill, and touch up with emulsion.

Make sure the hole you cut is close to the corner, as it will be harder to spot repair job.

I take it there's just one cable there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back