Driving Offence — Intended Prosecution

Having been rammed, 'Rear Ended' in the past I'm very wary of drivers who get close to the back of any vehicle I'm driving (or in). Anyone who gets close causes me to slow down. I'll certainly not help them to overtake and in heavy traffic I leave a greater distance in front of my car than I usually do.

For you, with a clean license, you have a good chance to be offered a driving education day rather than fine and points on your license.
Three times, in over 30 years of driving, I've been rear-ended. Each time my car was a write off but, like you, I always keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front. If anyone gets too close, I just gently ease off the accelerator, never dab the brakes or brake sharply. Eventually they will overtake and speed off down the road. I sometimes wonder if I would stop if they were involved in an accident further along the road. Possibly, possibly not.

Sponsored Links
If anyone gets too close, I just gently ease off the accelerator, never dab the brakes or brake sharply. Eventually they will overtake and speed off down the road. I sometimes wonder if I would stop if they were involved in an accident further along the road. Possibly, possibly not.

I didn't stop. Slow moving crocodile of vehicles, on a busy road, with bends. Hot head comes up far too close behind me, then takes a silly attempt to pass me, plus several other vehicles. Just around the next bend, he had gone off road and the car was on it's side. No other vehicles involved, everyone just carried on.

I experienced a similar incident back in the 'eighties whilst driving a Land Rover.

A young buffoon decided to attempt an over-take whilst coming close to the end of an urban duel carriageway .. didn't give himself enough room & had to cut sharply in front of me as the road resumed a single track. An imperceptible movement of my steering wheel saw the corner of my hefty front bumper caught behind his rear wheel arch & surgically remove most of his rear wing & bumper .. Karma !

What could the twerp say? he knew he had cut me up & assumed (but never admitted) he had misjudged his manoeuvre ;)
We exchanged details & I drove away in my undamaged LR, leaving him pondering the results of his actions .. hopefully he grew up to be a responsible driver.

Sponsored Links
In my driving experience, I let any scenarios or incidents play out in front of me. If a driver cuts me up or moves into my lane leaving an unsafe gap, I just back off the throttle and drop back. Similarly, I won’t engage with gestures thrown towards me and try to ‘fix’ situations caused by other drivers. It took a number of years to learn how to drive like this and to read the road ahead. I also own/drive another much older car from the 1960s, so respect the benefits of leaving a gap and thinking ahead!

For some reason, I saw red and allowed the driver’s tailgating to become an issue. I should have just let them overtake — there were cars further up the road and I know it drops from 60 to 30 as we enter the next village. They really wouldn’t have gained anything through the overtake.

Just one of those things. This evening on my commute I was cut up at a roundabout by a HGV going right from the left land and later horribly tailgated by a white van when joining an A road (I was doing 60 and there was light traffic and good opportunity to merge). Neither of those events defined my evening and as per my usual response, I let them do their thing and carried on.

A young buffoon decided to attempt an over-take whilst coming close to the end of an urban duel carriageway An imperceptible movement of my steering wheel saw the corner of my hefty front bumper caught behind his rear wheel arch & surgically remove most of his rear wing & bumper .. Karma !
So after he overtook you, you maneuvered your vehicle deliberately so as to collide with his and you say that's karma, more like you were reckless in your actions and actually caused the accident. You claim he may have grown up to be a more responsible driver yet your actions that day were anything but responsible.

So after he overtook you, you maneuvered your vehicle deliberately so as to collide with his and you say that's karma, more like you were reckless in your actions and actually caused the accident. You claim he may have grown up to be a more responsible driver yet your actions that day were anything but responsible.
Maybe so, it's true I don't suffer fools gladly but I also think you are missing the point.

D...head cut it so fine that only braking on my part would have avoided a collision .. I just chose not to brake & my imperceptible change of steering angle simply delivered the Croix de Grasse.

Is that something like a coup de grâce?
I stand corrected, thank you :giggle:
Yes well done, you caused the accident, idiot. But you're the responsible one.
You are entitled to your opinion of course & maybe you would have reacted differently to being cut up .. like braking hard & risking someone else running into the back of you.
Perhaps you could try that approach if faced with the same situation ?

Time to end this now.

Backtracking now eh, see your sort of driving all the time, you take the moral high ground but actually you're as bad as the other driver.

Yes well done, you caused the accident, idiot. But you're the responsible one.

Very slow progress along the A1, everyone almost nose to tail, me in L1, large artic next to me in L2 - along comes a driver on the slip road oblivious of all the vehicles alongside him, already on the main road. He proceeds to perfectly match my speed alongside me, until he runs out of slip road, and drove straight up the lowered end of the barrier. He ended up rather nice car's nose in the air. Had he moved forward, I would have eased off, had he moved to match the gap behind, I would have closed the gap ahead of me - but he matched me perfectly, alongside, maybe expecting me, to just disappear.

Backtracking now eh, see your sort of driving all the time, you take the moral high ground but actually you're as bad as the other driver.
My sort of driving?
Makes you wonder how my driving licence has remained unblemished for the past 60 years, half of them driving for a living .. anything from chauffeuring to articulated road tankers .. 'oh & lets not forget the safe driving awards received when I drove PSV's for a number of years :rolleyes:

We really must end this ping-pong discussion .. must be boring the tits off other forum users by now.

Sponsored Links
Back