Driving phobia

I getting close to 64, but it didn't hit me until a couple of years ago. On the other hand, I've worn glasses since I was 5, so I'm used to iffy vision. But it was the need for reading glasses about the age of fity that I found the hardest.

You'll learn to adapt.

Sponsored Links
They'll help, but then cause the same problem to the oncoming drivers. I found the higher driving position helped best, as it lifted you over the glare of the oncoming headlights. That was definitely problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
My night vision is appalling :(

Then you had better stop driving at night.

I had the misfortune to be with a group of people who were mown down by an elderly gentleman, on a wide road with good street lamps. He claimed to have been dazzled by a car which had driven the other direction just earlier.

Sponsored Links
Then you had better stop driving at night.

I had the misfortune to be with a group of people who were mown down by an elderly gentleman, on a wide road with good street lamps. He claimed to have been dazzled by a car which had driven the other direction just earlier.

I avoid it if at all possible and not at all on unlit roads.

:LOL: I'm not that old just a tender 50 years. I think I need to get my night vision looked at. It's not helped by the limited miles I drive per year (<3000) and it's always on the same road, also compounded by the fact my car has terrible headlights.
Do you perhaps have the beginnings of a cateract?

A set of posh headlights from the likes of autobulbsdirect.co.uk. in a 130% or 150 % option can make a big difference. It's the first thing i used to change on any new motorbike.

I rate uprated headlight bulbs. Had them on my last 2 cars and when the beam is set well I can see where I'm going. OK they don't last as long as normal bulbs but I'll tolerate that. I had a Citroen c5 with HID headlamps that swivelled, self levelled and had washers but while the area they lit was brilliant , the bit in between and around was in darkness by comparison. I'm 64, very short sighted and not as sharp mentally as I was ,I get easily confused. I don't like the darkness so it's a good excuse not to do airport runs for relatives in the late at night/early morning any more.

Ok, well one issue potentially addressed. Bought some new headlights off flea bay for £40. Not a bad price. Hopefully they'll offer a bit more light!

is it possibly a safety thing might be playing on your mind, like maybe if you broke down or blew a tyre on a dark unlit road you might be afraid for your safety? i know people in their early 30's afraid of driving anywhere, i wouldnt put it down to an age thing!

Sponsored Links
Back