Drywall screws min. edge distance

Sponsored Links
Not aware that there is one, sometimes you end up screwing virtually on the edge in order to hit a stud/noggin/joist. Ideally tho, say 10mm in?

I think it's supposed to be 20 for a factory papered edge and 30 for a cut/open edge
The spec sheet has all sorts of information on screw spacings and overhangs presumably used so estimators can price the job.

47 landing leaves 23.5 max. per sheet edge, with edges of sheets and joists to be steered clear of...tight!

The aussie youtubers with 6m sheets, even sheets with 4 tapered edges seem to have it sorted. Do they always just paint the finished drywall or ceiling? They seem to shake their heads in bewilderment when they see our housing.

Mind you, they don't live in rabbit hutches.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think it's supposed to be 20 for a factory papered edge and 30 for a cut/open edge
The spec sheet has all sorts of information on screw spacings and overhangs presumably used so estimators can price the job.

That sounds logical, bet it never happens on site.

Plasterboard is often joined on the edge of a stud which is 45mm wide -I suppose you might get 20mm if the screws angled a bit and the join is central

That sounds logical, bet it never happens on site.

Plasterboard is often joined on the edge of a stud which is 45mm wide -I suppose you might get 20mm if the screws angled a bit and the join is central

Angled heads below surface level, so close to the edge? Doesn't sound right. And spread doesn't like them proud.

Maybe put the ends between joists and pva a splice backing board on, and so avoid putting the plasterboard ends on a joist at all? It might help prevent cracking.

Scrim is fine for the 1st few years but later on they always crack, maybe a splice backer would be better, then scrim over the joint anyway?

Standard 2 coat skim is nominally 3mm thick. Taping and jointing is another option which has no additional thickness overall in theory.

Ok. I was asking because my bathroom has about 8mm of coarse plaster over the ceiling plasterboard, with a skim over the top of that (well, the btm if pedantic).

Loving that antipodean 'splice backer' for the taped joints, with the backing splice board stuck with architrave fixative to prevent cracking.

I may just float the ends between joist and pva some splice backers on, ply or plasterboard. I have used ply before now, extending 150mm each side of joint.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back