Dual personalities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it not about time the Mods posted a list of the regular posters on here, who have dual identities..... :eek:

Then we can all see who speaks with forked tongue.......... ;)

Sponsored Links
trazor said:
Is it not about time the Mods posted a list of the regular posters on here, who have dual identities..... :eek:

Then we can all see who speaks with forked tongue.......... ;)

I'm ok, no your not,yes I'm ,no your not ,ok your right :LOL:

To identify and name individuals based on the demographic information entered at site registration (which is private) would be a breach of the data protection act and the site owners could be prosecuted for doing so.

Sponsored Links
esra_ptrap said:
To identify and name individuals based on the demographic information entered at site registration (which is private) would be a breach of the data protection act and the site owners could be prosecuted for doing so.

Nonsense.....These are forum identities, not real ones......... :rolleyes:

I don't see how this could accurately be done, unless multi-nics were using the same e-mail address. Does this board allow that? Many don't. Some internet service providers (mine included) issue a new ipa every time you dial up, so it wouldn't be difficult to keep multiple user names separated. Admin could link the general area, but no more than that.

Trazor wrote:
Nonsense.....These are forum identities, not real ones.........
Try reading a post properly before you offer uniformed criticism.

The demographics entered onto this site during registration are real (email address being the obvious one) and subject to the DP act ... FACT, not nonsense.

Sure, you may have created a fictitious email for this site i.e. [email protected] but this is traceable to your ISP account if you know how to go about it (and the police do this on a regular basis).

If you believe that anything you do on the internet is anonymous you are quite deluded. I'm not sure of the information this site tracks but I'd guess they would use the normal stats for reporting one of which is your IP address which may be dynamically allocated by your ISP but they hold records of which account holder it was allocated to at any point in time ... FACT!

esra_ptrap said:
Trazor wrote:
Nonsense.....These are forum identities, not real ones.........
Try reading a post properly before you offer uniformed criticism.

The demographics entered onto this site during registration are real (email address being the obvious one) and subject to the DP act ... FACT, not nonsense.

Sure, you may have created a fictitious email for this site i.e. [email protected] but this is traceable to your ISP account if you know how to go about it (and the police do this on a regular basis).

If you believe that anything you do on the internet is anonymous you are quite deluded. I'm not sure of the information this site tracks but I'd guess they would use the normal stats for reporting one of which is your IP address which may be dynamically allocated by your ISP but they hold records of which account holder it was allocated to at any point in time ... FACT!

The fact they post even a fictitious E-mail, is yes traceable to an ISP account.
But so is any E-mail account added to your registration details, and this is done, so that anyone can view it already.
So by your reasoning anyone can already be traced.

So before you tell me to read a post properly, tell me what extra information would be given out that is not already available..... :confused:

esra, I hate to say this, but you are in fact wrong.

In your example you used a hotmail account as the example, however many people, like myself, access their hotmail accounts via the web and do not use Outlook or Outlook express.

The myth that this board captures the IP address of the individual machine has been around the web for many years. The simple fact is that whilst the security services would be able to pin point a particular ISP from information stored on the ISP's server, the forum software is unable to do this, in fact it would be illegal for it to do so. All it can do is record the IP address of the ISP's server that a particular account is connected to. Stating that a particular IP is that of an individual would be difficult unless you could prove that only one member actually resided in the catchment area for that server, which could have up to 500 accounts operating through it.

As an example of this, my machines sit behind several firewalls, all of which block IP transmission, so the IP this board is recording is that of the server which issues the dynamic IP for the ISP. I am sure that many members sit behind firewalls that also block transmission of their actual IP, so the argument over a given IP belonging to an individual is absurd.

I have seen occasions when people living near to each other have been recorded as having the same IP on BB software, and they have been accused by people on the board of being a but job as a result. Arguments have ensued, threats made and peoples lives effected by this myth.

If you know that two characters are the same person, treat them as that. Don't allow them to engage you in conflict, simply discuss what you wish to, and ignore the other stuff. It is actually that simple.

The matter of IP addresses has nothing to do with Email addresses, or Email clients, or webmail, or any mail at all. The IP address of the Internet connection over which you make your post is contained in the IP packets that are exchanged using the HTTP protocol.

Therefore, and without wishing to agree or disagree with any particular member(s), the IP address of the machine accessing the DIYnot web server, or indeed any web server, is readily available to that server.

BTW, firewalls don't block the transmission of IP addresses, but NAT routers do perform address translation that results in many machines at one site appearing to have the same IP address.

Softus, as all UK ISP's use NAT servers for their connections, that applies to all, as I said. The exception is when you pay for a static IP, then the software will nab your real IP.

How do I know this..sorry, not allowed to say, but it is a fact. Yes there are ways of still identifying a particular ISP account on the server and within the logs, but you need to go to the ISP for that information as that is certainly covered by the Data Protection Act.

Hardware firewalls mostly operate as NAT servers, unless the owner chooses not to configure it that way. I connect to the net, but not via my ISP's server directly. I know the IP address of my PC, but I will bet it is not the one on this board..

Stulz said:
Softus, as all UK ISP's use NAT servers for their connections, that applies to all, as I said. The exception is when you pay for a static IP, then the software will nab your real IP.
I think you're a bit confused, Stulz.

Firstly, I've never heard of a NAT server, and I surmise that you mean DHCP server, which dynamically allocates an IP address. The alternative allocation, being static, is sometimes charged for, and sometimes not.

Both static and dynamic addresses are "real", and regardless of the allocation method the address is known to the server of any TCP connection that an HTTP client initiates.

How do I know this..sorry, not allowed to say, but it is a fact.
You imply that you're privy to some secret, or privileged information, whereas, I'm sorry to have to say, you just have a distorted understanding of information that's widely known and freely available.

Please see the following sites for more information:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/
http://www.w3schools.com/tcpip/default.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/tcpip/tcpip_addressing.asp

Yes there are ways of still identifying a particular ISP account on the server and within the logs, but you need to go to the ISP for that information as that is certainly covered by the Data Protection Act.
I think you're implying here that IP address is deemed to be personal information within the context of the Data Protection Act 1998.

It isn't.

Hardware firewalls mostly operate as NAT servers, unless the owner chooses not to configure it that way. I connect to the net, but not via my ISP's server directly. I know the IP address of my PC, but I will bet it is not the one on this board..
Sorry Stulz, but, given your very tenuous understanding of how IP addressing and TCP/IP protocols work, I suspect that any wager you make on the subject is likely to lose you money.

softus has many ids,hes the king of dual personalities and often has a good old diy conversation with his other ids :)

fastneattrowel said:
softus has many ids,hes the king of dual personalities and often has a good old diy conversation with his other ids :)
Care to give any references to back up your wild imagination?

if i had the time softus id be glad to, its a long story and i layed 1500 bricks in the footings today and iam knackered m8

Sponsored Links
Back