Dust from angle grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a DIY job to do this weekend where I need to cut a channel into my lounge floor to run radiator pipes.

Using an angle grinder and sds drill will make a huge mess. Any suggestions for limiting this mess please?

I’ve got a Henry hoover with a fabric bag fitted btw. I’ve seen dust guards available for angle grinders on Amazon, any suggestions please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lots of water.
big bits of wood sheeting or cardboard in front/behind where the spray will be to catch it, someone helping to mob up, someone else to spray the water, someone else to make the tea and wipe your safety glasses clean. :)

Wear bin liners/wet suit.

The angle grinder will make a mess (even with Mattylads excellent suggestions) but and SDS drill and then chisel whilst slow, shouldn't make too much mess. Keep in mind the notion of sealing the channel afterwards with a liquid DPM, in case you've breached the previous one.

Sponsored Links
Or alternatively Armeg do some really good chasing chisels if you have a rotation stop SDS drill:

Armeg 30mm single chasing chisel 001_01.JPG

Above: 30mm single chasing chisel
Below: 55mm double chasing chisel
Armeg 55mm double chasing chisel 001_01.JPG

They also do a 20mm swan-neck version for chasing down behind existing skirtings without the need to remove them as well as being the originators of the EBS single and double box sinking system. Not the cheapest, however, but made in Sheffield and pretty durable. Good for light to medium blockwork (although not for very hard concrete blocks or compacted concrete) and for soft to medium brick or stone (though not engineering brick or hard stone such as granite)

They are even cheaper at poundland.

However they are not waterproof. I was suggesting the bin bags because of the water that will also be blown back at the OP.
It's what I tend to do when using my electric tile cutter as I get soaked using that. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back