Earth bonding to incoming gas supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this should be in plumbing or electrical so will post in both.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't there be an earth bonding connection to the outlet side of my gas meter? There isn't one on mine and British Gas didn't mention it when they did a recent meter safety check.
It's an old installlation with a steel main feed and copper internal The meter is on a wall above head height with the exposed pipework feeding down into the floor. If it must have an earth bond, can the connection be at floor level, or does it have to be within a prescribed distance from the meter?

++++++++++++++++
Moderators note:

I will delete your duplicate post. Please have a look at Forum rules.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
It is your responsibility, as the householder, to have the Main Bonding done.

It should be 10mm* in an unbroken run from the MET** to the incoming metallic services (gas, oil, water, Air con) within 600mm of entry into the building, and on the consumer's side of the meter and/or stopcock.

If you have plastic pipes, bond it as soon as it connects to metal pipe.

* almost invariably, it is not usually wortyh calculating it

** this can be within the CU, or can be an adjacent earth block

It's got to be within a certain distance of the meter but I can't remember what that distance is. The Wiki will probably say.

JohnD said:
It is your responsibility, as the householder, to have the Main Bonding done.

It should be 10mm* in an unbroken run from the MET** to the incoming metallic services (gas, oil, water, Air con) within 600mm of entry into the building, and on the consumer's side of the meter and/or stopcock.

If you have plastic pipes, bond it as soon as it connects to metal pipe.

* almost invariably, it is not usually wortyh calculating it

** this can be within the CU, or can be an adjacent earth block
its 600mm from meter.
if the meter is outside, point of entry is acceptable, there are some guide lines regarding this to do with tee`s and the such like, im sure someone can confirm

existing properties if previously installed, 6MM on TNS systems is ok as well

<waits for the barage of flaming> :evil:

Sponsored Links
Hm. I call 6mm² NTCS, unless TT.

You have to bond the gas installation pipe from the meter (the outgoing pipe) preferably before any branch pipework, and within 600mm of the meter, or where the pipe enters the property if the meter is external to the property.

securespark said:
Hm. I call 6mm² NTCS, unless TT.

You have to bond the gas installation pipe from the meter (the outgoing pipe) preferably before any branch pipework, and within 600mm of the meter, or where the pipe enters the property if the meter is external to the property.

looking for box on minor works.........nope not there!

you call 6mm ntcs ?

you call it that or its a reconised earthing system?

slightly ambi.... i wont say it lol

6mm² is what I classify as "Not To Current Standards" unless on a TT system.

read 547-02-01 ;)

and besides, its not 10mm on TNCS necesserily, it all boils down to neutral sizing.

A TN-S system with 25mm² tails requires a main earthing conductor of 16mm² (table 54G) therefore the main equipotential bonding conductors need to be a minimum of 8mm², the next size up being 10mm².

Spark123 said:
A TN-S system with 25mm² requires a main earthing conductor of 16mm² (table 54G) therefore the main equipotential bonding conductors need to be a minimum of 8mm², the next size up being 10mm².

and if its not 25mm?

ELZ4742 said:
and besides, its not 10mm on TNCS necesserily, it all boils down to neutral sizing.

You should also consult the DNO as they may require larger MEBs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back