Earth trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed when I touched my table saw in the garage I got a slight 'buzz' of it. Put on a tester screwdriver and it lit up. I have traced it back to the socket and the earth is 'lighting up'. What/where is my problem, and how do I fix it?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Unless experienced, call in a qualified electrician as the problem could extend beyond where you have already traced it to.

Otherwise check that there is a good connection between the incoming earth and the installation earth at the main Earth Terminal. Do this visually at first and then confirm (carefully) using whichever tester you have to hand.

Sounds to me like the CPC may be floating above true earth - treat with great caution.

Its even possible that the table saw / earth at the socket is LIVE. (but a floating earth is more likely)

Do not use either until you have had them checked out properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back