Ebay problem

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
Any views or advice welcome. I sell quite a lot on ebay, mostly silver/gold high ish value stuff so post via Royal Mail special delivery, over 600 items safely delivered in the last few years no problem, nothing gone missing, until today. Get a message , item not turned up ,£250 worth of coins, no problem, I'll check tracking. Got receipt for the last lot I posted, 10 items, all down as special delivery, apart from, for some reason, the one that's "gone missing", so no signature required.
Do you think I have any chance of any come back from the post office , as I go there all the time & they know I always send SD, and do you think that out of the hundreds of items sent, the only one not needing a signature is genuinely missing, or as I believe, hes trying it on ?
Just a thought, I paid with a credit card, could I claim of that if needed?

Sponsored Links
Looks odd that the one that didn't require a signature has gone missing. But why didn't it require a signature; if the post office didn't request one, then the problem may be their end. If they genuinely made a mistake, then the recipient may well be trying it on. But if you paid for a signature required, and the PO didn't do it, then you might be able to claim against them, but only after a lot of hassle and the threat of court action.

I gave them over the counter one at a time, saying special delivery for each one. It was only when I checked the receipt today for the tracking number that I realised that that 1 item had gone through as 1st class only even though I asked for special delivery, so no sig required.

Sponsored Links
Good luck but I don't suppose I like your chances sadly. Getting money out of Royal mail is really hard and I should imagine it will be tricky to prove that you asked for special delivery. The receipt of all the others should help tho. Without paying for the special delivery or insurance items are only insured for something like £26 (I forget the correct total). I know that if you send something that's worth £60 and insure up to £50, they won't pay a single penny, not even the £50, the amount insured.

Not sure how the credit card will help as you only paid for the postage cost on it, not the cost of the goods? Mind you, never claimed on a credit card and don't own one anymore so don't know much about it.

in my opinion you have nothing for the credit card to cover
you paid postage and perhaps the cost off postage at the maximum as your contract was for postage from the credit card only
ask if the have audio/ video footage at the post office to back up what actually happened

I gave them over the counter one at a time, saying special delivery for each one. It was only when I checked the receipt today for the tracking number that I realised that that 1 item had gone through as 1st class only even though I asked for special delivery, so no sig required.

Then your first port of call would be complain to the PO. It may be that the person has done it deliberately to take a chance on the parcel, but it may be that the receipient has taken advantage of no signature required. You could threaten the PO with reporting it to the police.

The credit card is only good for the purchase of faulty goods over £100, so doesn't apply in your situation. You've got to fight this, or swallow it, and make sure you double check every delivery in the future.

Do you think I have any chance of any come back from the post office.

No, I'm afraid not. Depending on that service you did in the end get, you may be covered for an amount. Could be a few quid or something. But otherwise it's down to you to check you have the service and cover you require .

Unfortunanately, it may come down to your word against the p o clerk. Who can prove what method of postage you requested for that item? Just because all the other items are special delivery, it can't be proved that you didn't ask for one item to go 1st.

As for credit cards, protection is only for purchases. It purchased a first class stamp, and that's the service you received. That's how the card co and p o will look at it. Anyway, isn't their a minimum purchase that has to be made for anyone to be covered on a card? Seem to remember it being approx. £100. Doubt a stamp would cost that. Coverage on the c card for the coins would only apply to their purchase from the original supplier if you bought them on the card. Not anything that happens to them subsequently.

Worth a try with the p o. But I don't rate your chances.

I'd probably go round the house and give the knock knock on a dark night.

Joking.

Or am i ?

Hang on... there were several items that went through without a sig?

If so, it would be soooooo a coincidence if all of the non-sig items went missing.

I’d report the matter to the police. there may be a pattern of other cases.

Sponsored Links
Back