Awkward ebayer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put an item on eBay and it sold for £15 to a guy and he's asked me to send it to Ireland, he's sent me a few messages. He asked how much would it be so I checked royal mail postage checker and worked out about £10. He's asked me to add postage and I've looked on eBay and can't find any way to do this.

What's going on here ? Is this a scam ?

Why would a guy from Ireland buy an item from me when it says that I don't ship internationally. I'm not sure how to play it ?

Could I ask him to pay me £10 as a gift through PayPal to cover the shipping ? Or is that against eBay rules ???

Sponsored Links
Not sure you're supposed to do it as a gift because it would circumvent PayPal transaction fees for that sort of thing but eBay don't include the cost of pastage in your final fee for the item sold so you can do it.

I try and avoid posting anywhere outside of the UK as it can become awkward sending to other postal services abroad but generally I've not had a problem with Ireland.

Make it christal clear with him the level of cover he will have for said postage fee and that you won't (or will if you will) take responsibility for losses or damages in transit.

I'd avoid the grief and send a second chance offer to the second highest bidder.

Why would a guy from Ireland buy an item from me when it says that I don't ship internationally. I'm not sure how to play it ?

Missed this bit.

Just say as listed I don't send outside of the UK and as rs said, offer it someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If you haven't offered international postage then he should have raised a question before bidding. I have to say about a 1/3rd of buyers seem to be problems, when I've sold stuff. I had people even trying to scam me in to shipping to shipping couriers, they then claim the item didn't arrive. You can tell the scammers as they always give you a long explanation and lots of detail. Its almost as is they think you wont believe them.

He's asked me to add postage and I've looked on eBay and can't find any way to do this.
It used to be the way that you could add extra post on the invoice, you can send them an invoice at the end of an auction.
But if you are worried it's a scam, I'd just cancel the transaction, refund him and relist. Tell him that you didn't list it to sell overseas, and you're still not going to.

I put an item on eBay and it sold for £15 to a guy and he's asked me to send it to Ireland, he's sent me a few messages. He asked how much would it be so I checked royal mail postage checker and worked out about £10. He's asked me to add postage and I've looked on eBay and can't find any way to do this.
Shame you didn't say yes to eBay's global shipping program - this is just the situation it's meant for.

Have you tried "send buyer an invoice"? I know you can add postage that way if you've sold a collect item, so maybe you can add extra postage, or a surcharge.

Same questions/possibility if you invoice him directly from PayPal rather than via eBay.

What's going on here ? Is this a scam ?
No reason why it should be.

Why would a guy from Ireland buy an item from me when it says that I don't ship internationally.
Because he didn't pay attention? The world is full of people who don't.

I'm not sure how to play it ?
With the assumption that both parties are honest and above board.

Could I ask him to pay me £10 as a gift through PayPal to cover the shipping ? Or is that against eBay rules ???
[email protected] - ask them how to do it.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ok I've looked absolutely everywhere until I'm blue on the face and I can't see a way to invoice the buyer for added shipping .He's not actually paid for the item yet, is this why ???

Anyway to move things along I've told him that unless he provides a UK shopping address and pays for the item I will relist it.

I will looking into eBay's global shipping, any links for more info ? Ive had questions from someone in Sweden and Poland but it does seem to be an added risk if the buyer is a scammer as you no doubt lose on the cost of very expensive postage ?

Ok I've looked absolutely everywhere until I'm blue on the face and I can't see a way to invoice the buyer for added shipping .He's not actually paid for the item yet, is this why ???

Anyway to move things along I've told him that unless he provides a UK shopping address and pays for the item I will relist it.

I will looking into eBay's global shipping, any links for more info ? Ive had questions from someone in Sweden and Poland but it does seem to be an added risk if the buyer is a scammer as you no doubt lose on the cost of very expensive postage ?
Have a look at your sold items.
Then on the right hand side of the listing, there should be a mini drag down menu under 'more actions', drag it down and look for the right bit. That, if I remember right, is where you can send an invoice.

Ok so the problem I've got is that I can't see that drop down menu from my phone so logging into from a proper computer allows me to see it and I've seny an invoice , hopefully will get sorted.

The person didn't come across like a scammer to be honest, but let's see.

You only pay postage to a UK address. eBay forward the item, and they charge the buyer for the international shipping, they do all the customs paperwork etc. And you're judged to have delivered the item once it reaches them, if it goes astray after they send it on they carry the can.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/global-shipping-programme/default/global-shipping-programme

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
And I've had no issues when using GSP.

Even in one instance where I'd sold a Blackberry to a guy in Russia. Apparently they are banned there, so eBay did not send it on to him. I kept the money from the sale, though.

Sponsored Links
Back