EICR - does it cover me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I have added a few sockets here and there over the years (two I continued the ring, one was just a simple spur).

When looking to sell the house, I was advised to have an EICR done. So I did, and all came back fine (one warning about the fuse board being plastic rather than metal, but I understand this only changed recently?).

So, does this mean I’m “covered”, to the same extent I would be if I had had the work certified individually?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, you can consider yourself covered, although I think it up to any buyers to have whatever tests they want.

Just be honest.

So I had added a few sockets here and there over the years
Because of, or as a result of, what did you add them?

I was advised to have an EICR done. So I did, and all came back fine
Did you ask them to explicitly test the sockets you added?

So, does this mean I’m “covered”, to the same extent I would be if I had had the work certified individually?
Depends what you mean by "covered". It does not mean, for example, that if you had been supposed to obtain Building Regulations approval that that slate is wiped clean, but the practical consequences of that, as long as you are honest when answering the questionnaire, are about zero.

Sponsored Links
I know. But the only thing that has changed in recent usage is the removal of the comma. I don't like the usage but I don't believe that one's first response to a stranger should be to criticise the way he speaks. You would not, I hope, do this face to face.

As long back as I can remember all work should have a paper trail, if some thing goes wrong one should be able to trace back and work out who made the error. If the error can be found by some one doing testing then clearly they now take responsibility, however if the fault is one unlikely to be found then your still in the frame.

So example, you get line and neutral mixed up, that should be found, so any injury as a result now down to person doing EICR.

Example two the wire is too short, so you join wires using a non maintenance free method of joining and bury in wall, and a fire results, then you would still be responsible as you have used non approved methods, and hidden the evidence in a way unlikely to be found.

The problem I have with that, Eric, is that very rarely can an EICR be a 100% check. I suspect you are talking largely from a commercial point of view, rather than domestic.

I think that, pragmatically, any house sale is a case of buyer beware.

Concerning 'covered' I think that BAS's last point pretty much summarises the situation.

Bear in mind that adding sockets was only notifiable for a relatively short time (8 years) and only in kitchens and outdoors.

The problem I have with that, Eric, is that very rarely can an EICR be a 100% check. I suspect you are talking largely from a commercial point of view, rather than domestic.
I would have thought that. However, you may recall that I ended up in a heated argument with a professional electrician here because I expressed surprise/shock when he expressed the view that (his?) routine practice with commercial EICRs was not to inspect and test all circuits - particularly not circuits which "had not had anything done to them" since the last EICR..
I think that, pragmatically, any house sale is a case of buyer beware. Concerning 'covered' I think that BAS's last point pretty much summarises the situation.
Totally agreed, on both points. The crucial thing is not to lie.

Kind Regards, John

I don't like the usage but I don't believe that one's first response to a stranger should be to criticise the way he speaks. You would not, I hope, do this face to face.
Quite so. Like you, I don't like the usage, but I certainly agree about the inappropriateness of such a way of 'greeting'/'welcoming' a stranger and, in particular (as in many cases) a brand new forum member.

However, as you know last time I made exactly that point (in the same context), my message (and the ensuing discussion) got moved to "Pedants Corner's" (which seems to be a grammatical abomination in itself :) ), in the Jokes Archive of GD!.

Kind Regards, John

However, as you know last time I made exactly that point (in the same context), my message (and the ensuing discussion) got moved to "Pedants Corner's" (which seems to be a grammatical abomination in itself :) ), in the Jokes Archive of GD!.
It's even worse than that. It's actually "Pendants Corner's".

I would like to think this was sarcasm on the Mod's part but I wouldn't believe him if he said it was.

It's even worse than that. It's actually "Pendants Corner's".
So it is - I'd never noticed! I suppose it's one of those perception things (seeing what one expects to see), like "Paris in the the spring".
I would like to think this was sarcasm on the Mod's part but I wouldn't believe him if he said it was.
Same here!

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks for all the replies.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the offensive way in which I started my previous post. I should have known that starting a sentence with a coordinating conjunctive would cause such upset.

Returning to the topic. I am sure that the work I have carried out myself is not notifiable, otherwise I wouldn’t have attempted it, it’s not really worth the hassle. However, lacking the necessary testing equipment required to accurately complete a minor works cert, I was hoping that having the EICR done would suffice in place of this - hence my query.

Regarding the property information form, all it asked was had there been any electrical work done to the property since 2005, to which I said yes. It also asked when the last electrical test had been done, to which I answered 2018 and enclosed the certificate.

Any ideas appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back