eicr form

Except where bunkbeds are present

and if so, what about the BC lamp holder, should be insist that it be of a safety type such as the Mk or ashley ones?

What of the fire risk from a home lamp and a pile of bedding?

Or perhaps Im just being awkward :LOL: . Though I did once allocate a coding to some of those batten holder bars you get surrounding mirrors in stage dressing rooms. It was a college drama dept and the mirror (and so the light bar as well) started at table height, which put the bottom lamp 50mm ish from the table. Quite a number of lamps had a sticky mess on from melted costumes.

Sponsored Links
Except where bunkbeds are present

and if so, what about the BC lamp holder, should be insist that it be of a safety type such as the Mk or ashley ones?

Pathetic

Do you have the regs?

Page 67

the other three exceptions to the regulation are
a cord operated switch complying with BS EN 60669-1
a bayonet lampholder complying with BS EN 61184
a Edison Screw lampholder complying with BS EN 60238

Do you know the reg yet? :D

The mirror one is probably more of a H&S issue than an electrical wiring regulation one, in this day and age there isn't really any need to have something that gets hot surrounding a mirror.

Sponsored Links
The mirror one is probably more of a H&S issue than an electrical wiring regulation one, in this day and age there isn't really any need to have something that gets hot surrounding a mirror.

I would have said 421.1.1-4

DO you guys know anything about LEGO?
If you think I'm making consumer unit blanks out of LEGO you've got another thing coming!! :LOL:

I think you should take the lives of your customers seriously and make sure when you sign off something as being the best of your knowledge complying with the regs that it actually does.
I think you should read the regs and improve your offering to the public. I know years of doing things in way that you think meet the regs makes you resistant to change. But now you know you really ought to be encouraging other to obey the regs too and not making jokes about it. which will be in very poor taste should someone be hurt due to the incorrect equipment being fitted.

A lot of consumer units are fitted where small fingers can get at them in cupboards in the lounge where littlens are left to play - this should be a really safe area and with the correct blanks fitted it would be, but otherwise there is a lethal danger awaiting a curious toddler.

DO you guys know anything about LEGO?
If you think I'm making consumer unit blanks out of LEGO you've got another thing coming!! :LOL:

I think you should take the lives of your customers seriously and make sure when you sign off something as being the best of your knowledge complying with the regs that it actually does.
I think you should read the regs and improve your offering to the public. I know years of doing things in way that you think meet the regs makes you resistant to change. But now you know you really ought to be encouraging other to obey the regs too and not making jokes about it. which will be in very poor taste should someone be hurt due to the incorrect equipment being fitted.

A lot of consumer units are fitted where small fingers can get at them in cupboards in the lounge where littlens are left to play - this should be a really safe area and with the correct blanks fitted it would be, but otherwise there is a lethal danger awaiting a curious toddler.

fair enough but i think you missed the irony

No passed me by.
but I think there are a lot of sparks who cannot be bothered to pay a couple of quid for some proper blanks and keep the customer safe

GALLERY]

only 4 quid

I have a question, though the thread so far has been "entertaining".

The regs say to use a type tested (is that the correct term ?) CU, with the component parts approved for us in it - or at least that's the impression I've got from multiple threads here. And the advice keeps coming up not to mix-n-match parts because they won't be tested/approved together.

And blanks are most definitely a safety item.

The CU comes as a system of parts - case, bars, internal connections, main switch, breakers as required, and clip in blanks. Some CUs don't have an option of a blank that clips to the rail, so there isn't a type tested option for that.

So, either the clip in blanks supplied are acceptable for the job, or the whole idea of only using components "approved" by the manufacturer for that CU is complete rubbish. Also, if the clip in blanks supplied aren't safe, then the manufacturers (all of them) and the whole supply chain down is selling dangerous electrical equipment. So which is it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back