EICR help

It's because of the magnetic feild. The current is passing through the conductor, not the enclosure, so you'll get an eddy current in the conductor as that's what's carrying it.
That doesn't make much sense. We're talking about the eddy current induced in a surrounding conductor (e.g. a metal enclosure) as a result of current passing through the wire. I'm not sure what, if anything, would be meant by an eddy current induced in the current-carrying-conductor (wire) itself!

Yes, I know, and that's what I said, regardless of the material, the conductor is carrying it, but my emphasis is regardless of ferrites, the enclosure isn't, we don't want a reaction with ferrite material.

I'm afraid that none of that makes much sense to me. Eddy currents will be produced in any conductor (regardless of material) surrounding a conductor carrying an AC current, and the passage of that current through the material will result in the generation of heat. "Reaction of a magnetic field with a ferromagnetic enclosure" (whatever that means) will not, in itself, result in any heat generation if heat is generated, taht would be the result of eddy currents flowing in the material.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I've just said that.

It's the currents in the conductor which reacts with the magnetic material, hence the reason for a gland plate which is non ferrous, or cutting a slot to cut the magnetic field so that eddy currents aren't induced into the enclosure, which causes the heat. I might have a photo somewhere of some heat damage from such.

Sponsored Links
It's because of the magnetic feild. The current is passing through the conductor, not the enclosure, so you'll get an eddy current in the conductor as that's what's carrying it.
That doesn't make much sense. We're talking about the eddy current induced in a surrounding conductor (e.g. a metal enclosure) as a result of current passing through the wire. I'm not sure what, if anything, would be meant by an eddy current induced in the current-carrying-conductor (wire) itself!
Yes, I know, and that's what I said, regardless of the material, the conductor is carrying it, but my emphasis is regardless of ferrites, the enclosure isn't, we don't want a reaction with ferrite material.
I presume you are referring to ferrous materials, not 'ferrites' (which are non-conductive, although 'magnetic'). However, I'm afraid that I still don't undertsand what you're saying.
I'm afraid that none of that makes much sense to me. Eddy currents will be produced in any conductor (regardless of material) surrounding a conductor carrying an AC current, and the passage of that current through the material will result in the generation of heat. "Reaction of a magnetic field with a ferromagnetic enclosure" (whatever that means) will not, in itself, result in any heat generation if heat is generated, taht would be the result of eddy currents flowing in the material.
Yes, I've just said that. It's the currents in the conductor which reacts with the magnetic material, hence the reason for a gland plate which is non ferrous, or cutting a slot to cut the magnetic field so that eddy currents aren't induced into the enclosure, which causes the heat.
You are essentially just repeating yourself and, again, I really don't understand what you are saying. The slots, if present, are to interurrupt the electrical path for eddy currents, not to 'cut the magnetic field' (which they obviously won't do). As I keep saying, I would think that one would get heating due to eddy current flow in a brass, copper, aluminium or stainless steel (or even graphite!) enclosure - not only one made of ferromagnetic material. However, it is possible that the heating may be less with the non-ferromagnetic materials,and maybe that's what this is all about.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back