Electric combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am looking for a new boiler for the house, and someone has recommended an electric combi boiler. I never heard of these before today, seemingly 95%- 99% efficient.
Anyone had any experience with these types of boilers?

At the moment, we have a 25 year old ideal standard conventional boiler.
And with it being in a hall cupboard, we get grief from scottish gas everytime it's due for its service

We have only one bathroom, 2 ensuites have electric showers.
8 radiators in house

Still can't find any review websites for these types of boilers

Price looks good, I'm only hoping their running costs are the same.

Cheers

kardex

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
I am looking for a new boiler for the house, and someone has recommended an electric combi boiler. I never heard of these before today, seemingly 95%- 99% efficient.
Anyone had any experience with these types of boilers?

At the moment, we have a 25 year old ideal standard conventional boiler.
And with it being in a hall cupboard, we get grief from scottish gas everytime it's due for its service

We have only one bathroom, 2 ensuites have electric showers.
8 radiators in house

Still can't find any review websites for these types of boilers

Price looks good, I'm only hoping their running costs are the same.

Cheers

kardex

Why are you going for an electric boiler which will cost you 3 to 4 times as much to run.

Thanks

Thats what I was trying find out, how cost efficient they are.

Cheers

kardex

http://www.avantaplus.co.uk

Look at a the Dutch Broag Avantaplus 35C or 39C combi. The 39C is £917 inc VAT, that is very well priced for a 40kW boiler.
http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/c.../Central Heating Boilers/Broag Remeha Boilers

http://www.centurionhbs.co.uk/shop/productdetail.asp?ID=2457&sectID=401&catID=403&parentID=&sort=

Look at the combi options pages 17 to 21. The outside senors etc, are extra.
http://www.avantaplus.com/docs/Issue 5 -Avanta Schematics Booklet.pdf

Have a Magnaclean on the return to the boiler. That will prevent any blocking up of the tubes in the heat exchanger.

The Broag, has a 5 year guarantee. They use primarily industry standard components and little plastic with Honeywell brass hydroblocks. The Broags are better quality than Vaillant and much cheaper. They are a well priced
quality boilers having a superb control system with integrated outside weather compensation and OpenTherm protocol control. Buy the outside weather temperature sensor and use weather compensation - great comfort conditions and economy. You will not look back.

Sponsored Links
Here we go again, booooooring :rolleyes:

Those links are the only place that BB has ever seen and read about the boilers.

He's not qualified and only gets his info from brochures and t'internet :rolleyes:

Here we go again, booooooring :rolleyes:

Those links are the only place that BB has ever seen and read about the boilers.

He's not qualified and only gets his info from brochures and t'internet :rolleyes:

What's your opinion on the electric boilers or should I stick to gas.

kardex

I don't know much about electric boilers, except that they will be near to 100% efficient at point of use - ie, not counting inefficiencies at the power station and in the distribution grid.

A modern condensing gas boiler will be slightly less efficient (80-85% in-real-life efficiency off the top of my head)

However electricity is much more expensive per kWh of heat, so your fuel costs will be less with gas.

This must be balanced against the cost of installation and maintenance, the registered gas engineers will know much more about that than me, so I'll leave it to them.

Kardex, take no notice whatsoever of the idiots who tend to hijack and ruin threads. They are totally unconstructive, as you can see. I'm sure a few more of them will be along.

I don't know much about electric boilers, except that they will be near to 100% efficient at point of use - ie, not counting inefficiencies at the power station and in the distribution grid.

About 40% taking into account line and latent heat losses at the station. Despite being 99.9% efficient at point of burn, electricity is still 3 to 4 times more per kW than gas.

A modern condensing gas boiler will be slightly less efficient (80-85% in-real-life efficiency off the top of my head)

The Sedbuk figures are boilers on a typical UK heating system, so pretty well correct in the real world. The efficiency can drop if on a poor system, conversely it can be higher if oversized rads are used and the boiler is heating a well designed large DHW plate heat X heat bank. You can engineer the system to be more efficient. Weather compensation also raises the efficiency too.

Electricity only makes sense in a super insulated house, or one near to that level. If passive solar even better. Then a full heating system is not required. Very low install costs, so big savings, which can be used on insulation. The electricity will be used so little the running cost will not a big problem at all. Also electric heating is service free, so a big annual saving on servicing and even more saving to offset if there is no ridiculous unvented cylinder.

What's your opinion on the electric boilers or should I stick to gas.

We recently revisited a customer that had 10Kw electric boiler installed. (6 months ago)

The boiler only does the heating system (8 Radiators) and is not connected to hot water cylinder. (customers decision)
He lives on his own (except for the parrot :LOL: ).
The 2 bed bungalow is well insulated and double glazed.

The heating works well but the customers electric bills are very high. :cry:

Previously he had an Lpg back boiler unit, fed from bulk tank.
Due to poor advice off other people, he decided to pay to have the bulk tank removed and the back boiler unit removed.

He is now thinking of having an oil boiler/tank installed. :rolleyes:

We are in the process of pricing another elec system, again the customer has been advised of the running cost, but Lpg is not allowed on the shared property. Oil tank and boiler would be excepted but customer still insists on elec system :confused:

First obstacle is having the electrical mains upgraded, which is not to bad providing you don't want an extra phase supply.

Personally I would avoid elec boiler, unless you live in a tiny 3 room flat with no gas supply.

Thanks all,

Looks like its a gas boiler for me then.

Was worried about the running costs , so this has put my mind a rest .

Thanks , great forum

Had a look at the boilers in the link, but my mate can give me a New worcester greenstar 37 CDI combi condensing boiler for £750. But I'll have to get someone to fit it for me.

I had a look at thes boilers on the net and the price is below what it should be.

Is this boiler a good choice?

kardex

Thanks all,

Looks like its a gas boiler for me then.

Was worried about the running costs , so this has put my mind a rest .

Thanks , great forum

Had a look at the boilers in the link, but my mate can give me a New worcester greenstar 37 CDI combi condensing boiler for £750. But I'll have to get someone to fit it for me.

I had a look at thes boilers on the net and the price is below what it should be.

Is this boiler a good choice?

kardex

yes that is a good choice, get a WB approved installer to fit it and you'll get a 5yr warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back