Electric Meter

Yep - you are wrong 60,000 in 3 months
That doesn't mention disconnections at all? It doesn't even say the switch to pre-payment was wrong, it is allowed if the correct procedures are followed.

Sponsored Links
Had "Smart meters" fitted last November.

Electric meter works OK, Gas meter has never worked, still having to manually read (harder to read than old meter)

In home display has never worked, fed up talking to my supplier, to get it all fixed.

That doesn't mention disconnections at all? It doesn't even say the switch to pre-payment was wrong, it is allowed if the correct procedures are followed.
I think it safe to say, there have been problems if the regulator and consumer groups are getting excited.

For an old meter, the supplier has to get a court order to enter the property and switch you to a pre-pay, which of course will not supply if you don't pay. For a smart meter they can do it all remotely... and they appear to be doing it a lot.

Being forced on to a pre-pay if you can't afford to pay - is a disconnection and if the Tarif is higher... well its self explanatory.

Its understandable that a company wants to be paid for its product.

Last edited:
Energy suppliers can't just switch you to prepayment just like that. They've got to have a justifiable reason and there is a long procedure to follow, and in some circumstances - the elderly etc. - they can't do it at all. If you end up in a situation where it might happen, something has gone very wrong and you need help to sort it out.

Sponsored Links
You read a lot of crap about smart meters, most of it about the old versions which did cause issues in some circumstances. The new ones work ok.

I've just had a 6 month bill on the 13th June - £154 in credit and they've put my monthly down by fifty quid.
trouble is there is millions of old versions .
as for your bill getting put down that will be because your direct debit was set to high for your usage nothing to do with it being a smart meter

The bit you dont get is that it's still just a meter. A reluctance to have one because its easier to steal electricity from the old analogue ones, is just nonsense.
@ the OP - just have it installed and ignore the conspiracy nutters.
You think failure to pay your energy bill is theft?

What do you think the statute of limitation might be?

Yep - I'm talking shyte.. and British Gas weren't banned from switching pending an investigation, because there was a widespread view that they had incorrectly switched people. oh wait..

"...after all other options have been exhausted..."
:rolleyes:

Yep - I'm talking shyte.. and British Gas weren't banned from switching pending an investigation, because there was a widespread view that they had incorrectly switched people. oh wait..

them two got their heads in the sand and it wasnt just BG that got done for switching to PP other companies did to

From the link...

Under current rules, suppliers can move customers onto prepayment meters by force if they are behind on their bills and after all other options have been exhausted. However, for certain highly vulnerable customers, such as those with medical equipment that needs constant power, those with severe mental health problems or those who will struggle to top up their meter, the practice is banned altogether. [Assuming they are actually aware]

Remote switching means that a customer’s smart meter is switched to PPM mode remotely by the energy supplier.

Alongside Ofgem’s investigation of recent reports of poor supplier practice and launch of a Market-wide Compliance review into PPM practices, Ofgem is also reviewing the licence and associated guidance to consider whether these should be changed to further protect consumers, particularly vulnerable consumers.

So there are clearly safeguards in place and there are clearly independent processes and independent authorisation that must be sought before switching a consumer. Oh no I'm talking Shyte... that was with old meters.

Have it fitted and prepare for 7 months of endless phone calls/E-mails, to get it all working (Still ongoing)
That is what I am anticipating , as I say I am unable to get Wi Fi signals in this area so how the H*ll will a smart meter work .
Business`s are keen to move on with modernisation to cut costs but modernisation is not 100 per cent fallible and to have a second rate system legally enforced on us is the last thing we want .

Sponsored Links
Back