Electric shower 9.5kw on 32A MCB and 6mil cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a knackered electric shower which is 9.5kw, 6mm wiring and on a 32A MCB.

It's a Triton so I asked them for the nearest replacement model and they said my cable and breaker are only suitable for 7.5kw shower (although they also said I could put a 9.5kw on 6mil if "I had no other choice" but definitely not on a 32A breaker).

Thing is, I've lived here near 11 years and shower has never tripped in that time. Would it really be unsafe to replace it with another 9.5kw model? Or should I get 8.5kw instead? And why haven't I ever burnt the house down?

Sponsored Links
Triton are correct.
9.5kW is approximately 40A, far more than the 32A MCB.
7.5kW is the maximum for a 32A MCB.

It won't trip immediately as it works on a strip of metal inside heating up which typically takes tens of minutes.
However it's still overloading the MCB and may cause damage to it and surrounding devices.

It may be possible to change the 32A MCB to a 40A, however that depends on several factors including how the cable is installed and how long it is.

Thank you very much for your quick response, I will ask an electrician to assess the cable run in person as I really don't want to go down to a 7.5kw shower.

Sponsored Links
It operates.
Indeed it does, and for those who feel that technically correct terminology must always be used, I would say that that would be the 'correct' terminology (and, of course, in addition to 'operating' rather than 'blowing', "a trip" is certainly not the correct term to describe the device which operates, anyway!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back