Electric shower not receiving full power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

so recently my electric shower started running lukewarm at settings where it would usually run nice and hot.

To get it to run hot, it has to be turned to higher settings, but with that, the water pressure drops significantly.

I’ve also noticed that the half power light is no longer lit, but the full power light is (all three lights are normally lit when at full power)

See attached photos.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Attachments

• 166E50ED-A710-49CD-ACDC-CA678E8CCA2A.jpeg
    166E50ED-A710-49CD-ACDC-CA678E8CCA2A.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
Hi,

so recently my electric shower started running lukewarm at settings where it would usually run nice and hot.

To get it to run hot, it has to be turned to higher settings, but with that, the water pressure drops significantly.

I’ve also noticed that the half power light is no longer lit, but the full power light is (all three lights are normally lit when at full power)

See attached photos.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Are there a number of heater elements switched in for the different power settings? Is one of them knackered, or the controls/thermostat that switch it on knackered? I would imagine the neon indicators are driven from the same power supplying the elements/controls for that heater.

Most of those showers only have one heating element. The temperature is varied by changing the water flow. Slow flow = hot water. Fast flow = cooler water.

Sponsored Links
Most of those showers only have one heating element. The temperature is varied by changing the water flow. Slow flow = hot water. Fast flow = cooler water.

I agree with that, to a point. I think that is what the lower knob is doing - reducing the flowrate = less flow through the heater = greater temperature rise for the same power.

However, I think that the upper knob allows the selection of either no elements (ie. cold flow), one element (often called "summer" or "ecconomy") or two elements to be powered. The two elements tend to be different powers eg. a 8.5kW shower have a 5kW element & a 3.5kW one. That would also fit with the OPs description of the "half powered LED" not being lit. I'm suspecting a failed selector switch or a bad element.

Inspection of the internals may also be prudent. This could also be caused by a bad/burnt connection to either the element or the switch.

Last edited:
One of your heating elements isn't functioning. Could be knackered ,loose wiring or failed microswitch.Dont know what make / model you have ,but if it is a cheapo,and several years old It's probably time for a new one.

Run it on half power, if the water is clap cold then either the switch or 1 element is faulty.

I just replaced ours when it packed in. Our Redring was a multifit so plumbing and electrics had multiple entries, was basically a straight swap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back