Electrical installation from 1950s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Used to work on similar stuff regularly, most BT telephone exchanges have similar vintage installations, full of busbar chambers, massive heating/lighting contactors and big old azzy filled switches.

The only thing I disliked about the old installations was tap off systems. Who ever invented that needs shooting. The proper busbar ones are OK but the bits of 16mm in a ring with soldered on tails to a box are a horrible, horrible idea...

Sponsored Links
I stripped out an installation just like that at a school a few years back. It was such a shame to have to do it :cry:

see a few like this round and about, generally in good condition but they can take quite a bit of "abuse" as well.

Like the "legacy" cut-out/CT chamber set-up as part of the board

What were the outgoing cables?

Ours were a really odd hybrid between PILC and SWA.

It was like PILC on the inside but had an unsheathed SWA outside.

Unfortunately the SWA was used as earth and much of the armouring had rotted away where the cables ran in damp underground ducts, hence the cable and switch gear being replaced.

IMGP1977-1-1.jpg

IMGP1978.jpg

Im sure all the wiring was singles in steel conduit and trunking it, I know all the lighting circuits in the offices and the sockets where done in conduit and it was PVC singles using the conduit as the CPC.
Used to love going there on depot maintenance wish id taken more photos now

Pilc can be unarmoured, tape armouring or wire armouring, the lead sheath would be used for the earth, the armouring would be bounded at terminations and any joints, there are also lead covered jute insulated cables about, in ilfracombe there are sections of a tape armoured 2 jute cores as phases, paper insulated core as neutral and a cotton braid insulated street lighting core

Hey Dino - Ilfracombe - my stomping ground. The latest large asbestos filled building going to ground recently in 'combe had some similar switch gear. We used to do the maintenance in that site, now relocated to new premises up top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back