electrical regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I have been told that new regulations say that if i wish to install anything such as an outside socket for example i may need to inform the local authority or have the job done by an electrician who will do that for me, is this true? I have been thinking about installing two cctv camera's on my house wall to face my car on my drive and one at the back of my house. If i can do this myself do i have to tell anyone, apart from putting up a cctv notice? Also, how would the local authority know if i had installed such items before or after the new regulations? thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Also, how would the local authority know if i had installed such items before or after the new regulations?
hehe, they have their ways. About the time Part P (the piece of legislation you refer to) came in (2005), the colour of internal cores on cables changed, from black and red, to blue and brown. It wasn't exactly the same time, but it provides good indication.

And you dont need a sign for your cameras as far as I'm aware. Only where they capture public concourse. So as long as they remain directed at your driveway or garden, and anyone trespassing on that, they are fine. The mere presence of cameras is warning enough.

You'd be surprised where we're caught on cameras nowadays. All my customers are on camera, Nearly every shop has cameras. Most major roads are covered by cameras. Buses and trains, stations, shopping centres, the list goes on.

true what you say about old and new wires but i was given the cctv camera's that are about 15 years old!

Sponsored Links
And also

1 January 2005 = Part P day
31 March 2006 = Persecution of the colour blind day

The old and new cable colours were running concurrently with Part P from 1 January 2005 to 31 March 2006, so cable colours alone will not give away whether wiring was done pre or post Part P.

What voltage supply do you need running to the camera? If it is 12v (ELV) then as long as you steer clear of special locations (bathrooms, saunas, swimming pools) then it is non notifiable.
If they require a mains supply outdoors they may be notifiable, depends what is going outside.

I've just be asked about installing CCTV in a clubhouse. Problem is it's a naturist club! :eek:

I'll have to set it up so it only records when the place is locked up and the alarm set.

You could have put in a net based DVR and given us all the password :LOL:

oh I don't know.. watching an internet video feed with nakid kids runnig about in the clubhouse?

yes, family vacation.. it's not all just one big sex orgy you know..

it's for people who prefer to not wear clothes...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back