Electrician advised against just updating the fuse box

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old fuse box that has a working RCD switch attached. It has tripped a few times already, so I know it is working. Once with a faulty socket, and once when I touched the toaster with a knife ....

But, I want a new consumer unit so I can more easily manage the electrics myself. I don't, and won't, do anything major, just changing light switches, fittings etc, myself, without having to turn off all the electric.

So I had an electrician come round, and he said, no, won't just change the box as this might result in it tripping all the time and cause more problems. Recommended we had a £200 survey to determine the state of the electrics and possibly rewire.

It looks like the electrics have been rewired, I saw good cables below floor, and the loft has neet good cables running along joists etc. Not old knackered ancient cables. There are a couple of light switches that need updating as they have no metal backplates or earth, but most of the house (which is small) looks good.

So, was this electrician just hoping to get a load of cash (he mentioned £4000 re-wire, then £1500 if not as bad as it might be) and this in addition to the £200 test, and I quickly lost interest and sent him on his way.

I have a bungalow, some electrics under the floor, some cables running through the loft. Will be decorating it all over the next year, so don't mind if I need some parts rewired - that is, happy to have cables chased into the sold walls and filled over etc.

So, should I just get somebody to install a new consumer unit and hope for the best? I don't think I have many circuits at the moment. Probably just lights, sockets, oven, boiler, and maybe outside lights. I don't like touching these old fuse boxes though, as I have no idea how they work!

img_20180201_222857813-jpg.135800

Sponsored Links
It's worth getting an EICR done prior to the consumer unit change. This will outline the condition of the installation and highlight any areas of improvement.

Given it's a bungalow, you're unlikely to have any problems with shared neutrals so I cannot see why the electrician would think the installation could trip all of the time.

Try someone else.

Well, he did say “might” result in tripping. And yes it might.
I always do an installation test before carrying out a fuseboard change. It is a wise precaution as a serious fault could mean no electricity until it is fixed!
It’s up to you. I would have him or someone else do an EICR as detailed above. Then you will know the health of your installation.

Good luck whoever is doing the change. I spot another numpty carpenter who has built that cupboard so access to the securing screws on the right hand side will be difficult.

Yeah, I think a fair bit of DIY was done in my house over the years. Its a 1930s bungalow, I moved in in August.
Lots to sort!
Actually, there's another 2 doors to the right, so all can be accessed. Probably not too bad.

Sponsored Links
Not sure how replacing a single RCD set-up with either a twin RCD, twin RCD with some RCBO's or all RCBO set-up "might result in it tripping all the time and cause more problems."

I have an RCD incomer and I can account for all the reasons why it has tripped in the last 19 years (4 times: lad stuck knife in toaster, faulty tumble drier, water ingress under the floor and a lad spilling a glass of water onto a multi-way extension lead). And two out of those are for child-related accidents, which to me proves the worth of RCD's in domestic installations.

But I agree with TTC. An EICR will show up possible hidden nasties & help the spark identify them before the board is changed.

Last edited:
Isn't the RCD in question a 300mA?

If it is, then not really relevant to replacing the fuse box or to personal safety.

What does that mean? 300mA, TT?

TT is where the earth is an electrode in the ground, but not necessarily the case.

Those RCDs were fitted in relatively modern houses with normal supplies and are not the equivalent of modern 30mA (thirty) RCDs installed for the protection of persons.

300mA is a tripping current for an RCD. The switch box to the left of the fuseboard is an RCD. What is written on it, your photo is out of focus!
TT is a type of supply. Is your electricity supply overhead? do you have an earth rod stuck in the ground, somewhere.

If the wiring is 1930s it will need updating. Wiring is like a pretty woman. It make look alright on the outside, but…

yes, supply from above, and there is a thing going into the ground outside, could that be the earth?
IMG_20171230_141653955.jpg

Yes, you have a TT supply that requires particular safety measures. This may be one of the reasons why your electrician is using a degree of caution.

in laymans terms, what does this mean?

Can I rewire the house, if I choose to? Or is my supply always TT and needs something different?

What would you do? Would a new consumer unit with handy isolator switches be possible?

Can I rewire the house, if I choose to?
That is notifiable work. It has to be registered with and notified with the local authority. You can do it if you have the skill, knowledge and competence to do this and can convince LABC that you do (with respect, you do not. Judging from your questions above. If you do not know what TT is then you don't even get to the starting gate, that is the first thing you learn as even a junior electrician).

Your option is to use a registered electrician to carry out the work. As above. Get yourself an EICR done.
this report will tell you what MUST be done to bring your installation up to scratch.
It will also tell you what, if anything, is unsafe or dangerous. I'm sure you want to know that?

Get the report done on your installation, it'll cost you a couple of hundred notes. Then you can make a decision on how to proceed.

*HINT* don't use the electrician that does the report for the remedial work. Some can make work for themselves, if you know what I mean.......

Happy to help with the results of the condition report.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back