Electrician advised against just updating the fuse box

But, I want a new consumer unit so I can more easily manage the electrics myself. I don't, and won't, do anything major, just changing light switches, fittings etc, myself, without having to turn off all the electric.
You said this in your original question.

You can remove the relevant circuit fuse -
but it is important to note that everything on the circuit should be turned off, ensuring there is no loading when the fuse is removed and replaced.

Sponsored Links
So, if I turn off on the RCD switch, then pull out(?) a fuse, and turn back on, I should be able to work out which circuit is which? And no need to upgrade the box - just learn to use the one I have?

I'll look for a video....

That is notifiable work. It has to be registered with and notified with the local authority. You can do it if you have the skill, knowledge and competence to do this and can convince LABC that you do (with respect, you do not. Judging from your questions above. If you do not know what TT is then you don't even get to the starting gate, that is the first thing you learn as even a junior electrician).

Your option is to use a registered electrician to carry out the work. As above. Get yourself an EICR done.
this report will tell you what MUST be done to bring your installation up to scratch.
It will also tell you what, if anything, is unsafe or dangerous. I'm sure you want to know that?

Get the report done on your installation, it'll cost you a couple of hundred notes. Then you can make a decision on how to proceed.

*HINT* don't use the electrician that does the report for the remedial work. Some can make work for themselves, if you know what I mean.......

Happy to help with the results of the condition report.

Thanks, I might just do this then.

I still don't get how you are convinced it is a 300mA RCD...

Sponsored Links
This one is 30mA
upload_2018-2-16_18-2-10.png

Could be this one, though. 80A 30mA:
upload_2018-2-16_18-7-2.png

Could be a 6180, though. 80A, 100mA.

Can I rewire the house, if I choose to? Or is my supply always TT and needs something different?

Because of the way you wrote this, I think you are wondering if you can alter the supply. The cable and the equipment feeding your house up to and including the meter are looked after by the DNO (District Network Operator) and the metering company. You could ask if the DNO they can give you a PME supply and if so how much it would cost. If that were possible, it would do away with the need for the earth electrode.

Yeah, sorry.

You know when you are thinking about stuff completely unrelated to what you are typing, and you type the wrong boobs. I mean, words?

Well, so you can all sleep tonight without worrying about how many mA it is ...

here ... is .... a .....

photo!

IMG_20180216_221235165.jpg

*HINT* don't use the electrician that does the report for the remedial work. Some can make work for themselves, if you know what I mean.......
With respect plenty offer an honest appraisal of the installation. The only reason I condemn most installations following periodic inspection and testing is because most are complete and utter ****e.

Well, the first guys that looked said £200 for the test, and today another said he'd test for £160.
Does that sound reasonable? He said it would be 3-4 hours work. Seems a long time for my little bungalow! But cheaper than the first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back