Electrician. Chased Walls and Installed Sockets But Wires Are Not Capped. Is this Correct

I once had to move a light switch/back box 50mm to the right. I removed the face plate and saw that the cable exited via the top of the metal back box. I didn't want to isolate the lighting circuit because I didn't have site lights with me. I started tapping away at the plaster with my Japanese cat's claw. Bang! I went through the live and earth.

I then discovered that the cable went up through the top of the metal back box, and ran down the right hand side of the box. Annoyingly, the incident left a slight dent in the cat's claw. Other than the "bang" noise, and the lights turning off, I didn't experience any shock. I have long wondered if that was down to the fact that my Timberland Pro boots were supposedly rated at 650v.

Sponsored Links
I don't think so. We've discussed this several times before and I think it has been generally agreed that a cable has to enter and be 'terminated' within an accessory/whatever in order for the accessory (or 'blank plate'/whatever) to create a 'safe zone' - the explanation being that someone could otherwise theoretically remove the accessory/whatever which had been creating the 'safe zone', leaving a buried cable which was no longer in a 'safe zone'. The wording of the regs seems consistent with that view ....

In view of the above, I think that would really be the only (sensible) solution that would make it reg-compliant.

See above.

I personally don't like the term - because to someone who has a drill, chisel or hammer/nails in their hands, it's definitely a 'dangerous zone', not a 'safe' one :)

Kind Regards, John
Thanks JohnW2. I can learn even at my age. I was wrong with my idea and have learnt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnW2. I can learn even at my age. I was wrong with my idea and have learnt.
You're welcome. Even at my age I can learn (and often do!).

I have to say that (I suspect like many others), there was a time when I had exactly the same thoughts as you. Indeed, I seem to recall that my thinking (until I was corrected) probably went even further, in that I thought that one didn't even a backbox to create a safe zone, and that one could probably create a 'safe zone' by just screwing a blank plate onto the wall! However, for the reasons I've explained, I no longer believe that to be the case!

KInd Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back