electrics for ne understairs WC (light and fan)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi guys,

im building a new understairs WC and theres never been electrics in that space before. I am of course wiring in a ceiling light and extractor fan under there but would like to know how to 'rough in' the wiring for an electrician to connect later?

I have the basics locked in already in terms of the light switch box and routing the wire (twin and earth) inside ducting in the stud wall and into the ceiling to the light fixture and fan.

1. is the wiring between switch light simple when there is a fan to loop in also? ( id be reasonably comfortable tacking this with a good guide that anyone could point me to?

2. when would the power to the light switch typically be picked up from? this part I will likely get an electrician in to do but would like to know where to plan the power from?

Sponsored Links
@winston1 do you have a problem with me posting questions on two completely different websites in an effort to get a broader range of opinions and feedback from different people? trolling me with my own links isnt at all useful.

You might be better off running a three core to the fan so it has a permanent Live for a run over timer if the Toilet will not be having a Window so it can carry on to prevent any condensation - more in cold winter months. The switch is fairly easy to do. Have a look at the Wiki pages for guidance for clarity.

Sponsored Links
oh ok so if i wanted an over run timer on the fan it needs a live wire separate from the wall switch for ceiling light? this is very helpful stuff to know when talking to my sparky

You might be better off running a three core to the fan so it has a permanent Live for a run over timer if the Toilet will not be having a Window so it can carry on to prevent any condensation - more in cold winter months.
Is condensation a common problem in toilets?

Kind Regards, John

Sometimes - what's the Fan for otherwise just to rid Smells?

Last edited:
Sometimes - what's the Fan for otherwise just to rid Smells?
In something which is just a toilet, then probably yes.

Why should there be more condensation in a (just) toilet than in any other room in a house?

Kind Regards, John

I presume the fan is just to remove the smells, or

the OP thinks it is compulsory to fit one.

I note he is in Ireland, so perhaps he is not allowed to do it himself.

From Building regs: Extract ventilation
Any new kitchen, bathroom (or shower room), utility room or toilet should be provided with a means of extract ventilation to reduce condensation and remove smells. (Edit From a Planning Portal Website English indeed not Irish)

If there's a Window then obviously no Fan is required, if there's no window then the Smell won't disappear as soon as you've switched the light off after a good dump.

Last edited:
Are you quoting Irish Regulations?

The Building Regulations in England do not state such a thing.

Are you quoting from an Approved Document?

Provided of course that the window is always open.
Even the infamous Approved Document does not say anything about the requirement for an "openable window" ever to be "opened" - which makes sense, because it would be totally unenforceable, even if it were a 'requirement'

Kind Regards, John

I was quoting chivers, not an approved document.

If there's a Window then obviously no Fan is required, if there's no window then the Smell won't disappear as soon as you've switched the light off after a good dump.

odours will not escape through a closed window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back